Skip Navigation

Non-SBU Programs

  Resource header

  • Other SUNY Programs

    Students considering study abroad through another SUNY program must contact the sponsoring SUNY campus directly for program details. Students that have been accepted to another SUNY program must click the link below to report their acceptance though the SBU study abroad portal. SBU students will be given  information about the next steps in the process  shortly after, which will include registration information and instructions regarding the course evaluation/approval process.

    For planning purposes, students may download the SBU   Learning Agreement  form to start the process of obtaining course evaluations for their perspective program. This form will not be due until just prior to departure. Students must use the existing form to update any course changes/additions and upload the final version to the study abroad portal as one PDF file when prompted by the system to submit.

    For any questions please contact Jeanine Guilbeaultat:

  • Non-SUNY Programs

    Non-SUNY Programs

    Non-SUNY study abroad programs are not supported or vetted by Stony Brook University. These programs may be administered through SUNY Community Colleges, non-SUNY universities, or  third - party  vendors.  If a student chooses to participate in a non-SUNY study abroad program, they will apply directly to the non-SUNY program, and pay the associated fees directly to the program provider. Students must take a leave of absence and thus, financial aid from SBU will not be applied to these programs. See below for policy regarding international summer and winter programs.


    It is strongly recommended that students discuss the eligibility of transfer of credits with Academic and Transfer Advising Services (ATAS) prior to participation in a non-SUNY program. There is no guarantee that credits earned abroad on these types of programs will count as credit toward graduation or toward a major/minor/general education requirement.  Once the program is completed, transcripts (if available) are to be sent to ATAS for review of transfer credit. Grades earned will not be factored into the overall SBU GPA.

    International Transfer Credit Policy for Summer & Winter for Currently Enrolled SBU Students

    To obtain Stony Brook credit for summer or winter courses offered by an institution outside of the United States, currently enrolled Stony Brook students are required to participate in an approved partner university program offered through International Academic Programs (IAP) in the Office of Global Affairs.  All other international credits obtained in the summer or winter will not be eligible as transfer credit applied to your Stony Brook degree program. This also includes international credits taken from U.S. institutions outside of IAP or SUNY.