Skip Navigation

Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

What is the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program?

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program is an education benefit for eligible spouses and children of certain veterans. Eligible persons can receive up to 45 months of full-time or equivalent benefits for:

  • College, technical or vocational courses, independent study or distance learning courses, etc.
  • Apprenticeship/on-the-job training.
  • Remedial, deficiency, and refresher training (in some cases).
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for the Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance Program, you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.

Note: This is for dependents of deceased or 100% disabled veterans. This is not "TEB".

What are the benefits?

Spouses and surviving spouses have 10 years from the date that the VA establishes eligibility to use the benefit. Surviving spouses of veterans who died while on active duty have 20 years from the date of the veteran's death to use the benefit. Forty-five months of entitlement are allowed under this program.

Children may use the benefit while they are between the ages of 18 and 26.

The payment rates (as of October 1, 2018) are as follows:

Training Time Monthly Rate
Full time $1,224.00
¾ time $967.00
½ time $710.00
less than ½ time, more than ¼ time $710.00**
¼ time or less $306.00**

** Tuition and Fees ONLY. Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.

Click below for more detailed rates on the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program.

See More

  How can you apply?

You will need to bring the following documents to the Office of Veterans Affairs (Administration Building, Room 348):

The dependent and the veteran will need to fill out the VA Form 22-5490, and you will need to fill out the SBU VA Form. These documents, along with a copy of the certificate of eligibility as a dependent of a disabled veteran and copy of your current class schedule need to be submitted to the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Note: All Chapter 35 applications and benefits originating from SUNY at Stony Brook are processed through the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY (1-888-442-4551).