Skip Navigation

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

What is REAP?

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a new education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

The payment rates (as of October 1, 2018) are as follows:

Training Time Consecutive service of 90 days but less than one year Consecutive service of 1 year + Consecutive service of 2 years +
Full time $797.60 $1,196.40 $1,595.20
¾ time $598.20 $897.30 $1,196.40
½ time $398.80 $598.20 $797.60
less than ½ time, more than ¼ time $398.80** $598.20** $797.60**
¼ time or less $199.40** $199.40** $398.80**

** Tuition and Fees ONLY. Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.

Click below for more detailed rates on the Reserve Educational Assistance Program.

See More

  Who is eligible?

Eligibility will be determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS), as appropriate. Generally, a member of a Reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10, U.S. Code, for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation, is eligible for REAP. There is no specific time frame to use REAP; however, your eligibility generally ends when you leave the Selected Reserves.

National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • Authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S. Code,
  • Authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and
  • Supported by federal funds.

How can you apply?

You will need to bring the following documents to the Office of Veterans Affairs (Administration Building, Room 348):

Your unit will give you a copy of your DD Form 214, and a Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384 or 2384-1) when you become eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve. You will need to fill out the VA Form 22-1990, and the SBU VA Form. These documents, along with a copy of your current class schedule need to be submitted to the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Note: All Chapter 1607 applications and benefits originating from SUNY at Stony Brook are processed through the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY (1-888-442-4551).