Health Insurance Waivers
- Domestic Students: Step-by-step instructions | Fill out a waiver on SOLAR
- International Students: go to haylor.com/college/stony-brook-university to fill out a waiver
- Fall Semester - September 15
- Spring Semester - February 15
Requirements for Domestic Students
Gaps in health insurance coverage are not permitted. Please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at (631) 632-6054, by e-mail at email@example.com or visit us at East Side Dining, Room 157.
Waivers for this insurance plan are approved only if the student already has alternate health insurance in place and completes a waiver online (on SOLAR) at the beginning of the semester . Your alternate insurance must cover you for the following medical services:
- Inpatient hospitalization
- Outpatient mental health visits
- Prescription medicines
- Self injury and suicide attempts
- Pre-existing medical conditions
To file a waiver the student must go to the SOLAR main page, and click on "Student Financial Services," and then on "Health Insurance Waivers." Waivers must be completed by the third week of classes at the start of every academic year. Waivers are not accepted after the deadline. All waivers are subject to an audit during the school year.
For step-by-step instructions on how to fill out a waiver on SOLAR, download our guide.
Requirements for International Students
Waivers are approved only if:
- If you are a TA/GA/RA and enroll in your employer-sponsored health insurance. Once you are enrolled with HR Benefits, they will process a waiver for the International Student Health Insurance charge to your student account in Solar by October 1st.
- You are studying in your home country for an entire semester or academic year. You must provide a letter to us, informing us of your status, and the name of an academic department contact by the end of the second week of classes (Sept. 15). The deadline for Spring is February 15. No waivers will be considered after the deadline.
Any Medicaid plans based outside of NY and the NY state Essential Plan will not be accepted. The following plans will not be accepted :
- AIG General Insurance Company Ltd.
- HTH Worldwide
- International Student Protection (ISP)
- UnitedHealthcare’s PGH/Student Resources Product
- ICIC Lombard
- International Medical Group (IMG)
- Seven Corners
- Global Benefit Group (GBG)
- Tokio Marine HCC
- Fallon Community Health Plan (Massachusetts Medicaid)
- Partners Health Plan (Massachusetts Medicaid)
- Peach State Health Plan (Georgia Medicaid)
- Affinity Health
- Emblem Health with ID numbers of LLNNNNNL or Emblem Health (HIP MA)
- Medi-Cal (California Medicaid)
- Populytics- LeHigh Valley Health Systems
- Healthy Connections – South Carolina Medicaid
- Gesinger Insurance Plans
- Health New England
- Care1st (Arizona- Medicaid)
- Boston Medical Center Healthnet Plan (Medicaid)
- Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island (Medicaid)
- Gateway Health Plan (PA- Medicaid)
- Wellcare of NY
- MassHealth (Massachusetts Medicaid)
- Molina (Medicaid Based Plan)
- Husky (Connecticut Medicaid)
- United Healthcare Community Plan (New Jersey)
- Christian Healthcare Ministries
- Liberty Health
- Global Benefit Group
- Tufts (Rhode Island & Massachusetts Medicaid only)
- YourCare Health Plan
- Emblem Health (only HIP MA) or id# that starts with JNR
- Any Medicaid or Medicare Plans that are not based in Central NY and Medicaid plans that start with FU in your ID#
Denial Appeals Policy
The Student Services office makes the initial determination if a student’s alternative coverage is sufficient to qualify for a waiver. The determination is made on the basis of the information provided in the online waiver; however additional documentation may be requested of the student.
In the event that a waiver is not granted and a student wishes to appeal the decision, they may do so by contacting the Student Services Office: East Side Dining, Room 157, (631) 632-6054, firstname.lastname@example.org. The student will be instructed on how to proceed with the appeals process.
Payment of the SUNY Stony Brook Infirmary Fee—Required
The fee covers comprehensive health services for both medical and mental health problems, for students and visiting scholars. It is not a substitute for health insurance. The Student Health Service building is the only location on campus where the mandatory health fee can be used. Medical Services that are beyond the scope of the Student Health Service can be obtained either at University Hospital Medical Center or through other medical providers in the community. However, the infirmary fee will not cover the cost of any medical services outside the Student Health Service Building. Call (631) 632-6740 for further information.