GRADUATE STUDENT COORDINATOR FOR STUDENT ENGAGEMENT & ACTIVITIES
The Graduate Student Coordinator for Student Engagement & Activities is a position
within the Department of Student Engagement and Activities broadly designed to offer
graduate students an opportunity to assist all functions of the department including:
administration, advising, training, leadership development, risk and event management
for our 350+ student clubs/organizations, leaders, and advisors; and major programming
and event planning.
Position tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the daily office operations of the Department of Student Engagement and
- Review 25Live, and SB Engaged event request forms. Work with an assigned caseload
of recognized student organizations to provide support and advisement to ensure success,
adherence to departmental, University, and SUNY policies, and limit risk
- Attend supervisory, and departmental meetings and training
- Assist in the design and facilitation of resources, workshops, and training for student
leaders and advisors
- Assist with planning and/or provide on-site support at student, departmental events,
and campus traditions as needed, which sometimes take place in the evening and/or
- Assist with marketing, and assessment of events and departmental services
- Assist with annual re-registration for student organizations
- Assist with the new club/organization recognition process
- Assist with maintenance and utility of university's online student engagement platform
known locally as "SB Engaged"
- Serve on committees and represent the department on panels and presentations as needed
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, onboarding, training, supervision, and recognition
of undergraduate student staff and interns across the department.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required
- Other duties as assigned
This is an hourly paid position for graduate students only. The successful candidate
will be expected to work approximately 20 to 25 hours per week at the rate of $17 per hour, for 50 weeks throughout the year. Tuition remission, health insurance,
and retirement benefits are not included as part of this position. Hours and pay rate
subject to change based on yearly budget and scheduling approvals.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be enrolled as a matriculated graduate student at Stony Brook University for
- Applicants must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Applicants must maintain appropriate conduct standing. A sanction of University Probation
or higher, or a sanction of restriction from holding leadership positions will disqualify
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (verbally, written, and interpersonally)
- Demonstrated effective use of organizational and planning skills, and managing workflow.
- Proficiency using various softwares, social media platforms, Google Apps, etc.
- Previous experience working collaboratively as part of a diverse team, and both establishing
and maintaining effective peer and supervisory relationships
- Available and willing to work in person and/or virtual events as needed
- Willing and able to work the full academic year, as well as summer & winter-session.
Must be able to maintain an established work schedule
- Available for the following dates:
- Summer Weeks of Welcome & Orientation: August 21-27th, 2023
- Winter Weeks of Welcome & Orientation: January 18-21st, 2024
- Availability to serve in role for more than 1 year
- Enrollment in Stony Brook Higher Education Administration program
- Prior experience working with or being part of a club or organization, planning events,
advising or supervising students
- Previous experience working in an office environment
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
For more information please visit our website at: stonybrook.edu/seaofopportunities.
Deadline to apply is Monday, March 27th at 8am.