Important Student Organization Programs/Event Update
The below email was originally sent to student clubs on Friday, March 13, 2020. Please monitor your Stony Brook email for the most up to date information.
- The purpose of the Student Organization Event Expense Tracker is for Student Engagement & Activities to compile all event expenses for which students experienced financial loss, either partially or fully as a result of these measures. If your organization had a reservation that was cancelled by the University, please take a few moments to fill out this form. Please indicate all paid expenses lost, whether personal, from a University account (i.e. FSA, USG, GSO), or other club bank account. Your assigned program advisor will provide support to you in helping to inventory expenses and work with university agencies (i.e., USG, GSO, FSA) to help mitigate financial losses to your club. Please note we cannot guarantee that all costs from contracts and vendors will be able to be recouped. Your program advisor will work alongside these funding agencies and your student club to optimize financial recovery.
- USG funded clubs will not be penalized for having remaining funds in their budgets as a result of cancellations due to COVID-19. Please continue to check your emails for further updates from the Office of the Treasurer.
- Meet online via Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facetime, or Skype. For Google Hangouts simply create a calendar invite and you should see a tab that says "Add conferencing". Click that tab and you will have the option to select "Hangouts Meet". Zoom is another great option to meet with your members virtually. For Zoom you can set up a meeting the same way as in Google Hangouts, just select Zoom instead. Fun fact : You can change your background in Zoom to whatever you'd like. I was hanging out at Hogwarts yesterday and I will be in Paris today!
- Keep in touch with your members via social media, SB Engaged, GroupMe, or Slack
- The Recognition Guidelines for Registered Student Organizations has a section dedicated to how your group can make the most of your SBEngaged page. Start on page 27 for this information. You can also check out this Organization Tool Menu Walkthrough.
- Consider hosting your elections online through SBEngaged. We will be sending out more detailed instructions on this soon, but here is some information to review in the meantime. If you are considering this option we strongly encourage beginning to prepare by ensuring your organizational roster is accurate and up to date.
- The News tab on your SBEngaged page is a great way to share posts and distribute information to your organization's members. For information, follow this link to the News Organization Tool Overview.
- Roster messaging is a very easy way to communicate with all members listed on an organization's roster. Here is some information on how to create a message relay.
- Staff in the Department of Student Engagement and Activities will be cancelling 25live reservations, however if there is an event you have in SBengaged that you would like to host virtually, we can absolutely help with that! Fill out this quick google form and we will change your event on SBEngaged to have a virtual location. Your group will then be able to add the specific meeting details such as a Zoom or Google Hangout link.
- We recognize this is especially hard on those organizations whose large scale traditional
events have been cancelled. Given the circumstances, we will work directly with groups
to attempt to reschedule these events for the 2020-2021 academic year. Requests must
be submitted via the
Large Scale Event Rescheduling Form by the deadline of
March 30th, 2020 at 8am. To be eligible to apply for pre-scheduling your organization must meet and adhere
to the following criteria and parameters:
Be in good standing as an organization.
Must have a full and eligible executive board on your SBEngaged Roster
Must not owe any outstanding invoices
Must be registered with the Department of Student Engagement and Activities for the 2019-2020 academic year
Groups can only request rescheduling of events that were cancelled due to COVID 19. Meetings and trips cannot be scheduled at this time.
Student Engagement and Activities has the right to deny any event request submitted.
Priority will be given to those events that have a history of taking place for 3 or
more consecutive years (making 2020-2021 at least the 4th consecutive year).
Above all, please keep yourself healthy!
Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds using warm soapy water! Check out this list for some fun songs you can sing while washing!
Practice social distancing. Social distancing is a public health intervention in which people are discouraged from convening in groups and encouraged to keep physical distance from others in order to slow the spread of illness.
Contact Student Health Services if you aren't feeling well. Student Health Services has a Medical Advice line that can assist you in determining if you need to seek medical care. You can reach the Medical Advice line at 631-632-6740, option 3.
For more information regarding the COVID 19 Coronavirus, visit the Cononavirus webpage.
You should receive an email from your Program Advisor very soon, so be on the lookout for that. Your Program Advisor, as well as all of the Staff in the Department of Student Engagement and Activities are here to support and guide you during this time. I encourage you to reach out for guidance and support as you may need it. We look forward to assisting you in any way we can.