Room Selection 2019
Room Selection (Housing Renewal) begins Febuary 18, 2019.
Room Selection provides current residents the opportunity to select a specific room assignment, along with preferred roommates/suitemates for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Eligibility for Room Selection is extended to all current residents who are in good academic and financial standing with the University. If you interested in returning to campus housing next year you must complete all steps of the Room Selection process by April 12, 2019 in order to receive housing next year. To participate in Room Selection, all eligible residents must make sure that their University bill is cleared in full.
Summary of Process
Phase 1 of Room Selection: February 18 to March 15.
- Pay $200 deposit (Not required for EOP Students, Returning Graduate Students, and RAs).
- Start your application and complete it so that the header looks like this:
- To join or leave Gender Inclusive Housing for 2019-2020, you must complete the Gender Inclusive Housing page in the application by March 15th.
- Ensure your University account is in good financial standing with no financial blocks.
- If Impacted by the 6 or 8 semester housing policy, file an appeal by March 4.
- Available 11:00 AM - 11:59 PM: Select to return to your current room.
- This option is available if the space is available
- Must meet eligibility requirements if selection in West, Chavez, Tubman, and/or Graduate Housing.
Phase 2 of Room Selection: March 25-April 12 at 3 PM.
- Each week you will have a room selection start day and time that is determined by one's current SBU credits.
- Selections can be made Tuesday through Thursday 11:00 AM - 11:59 PM and Friday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM but no earlier than your designated room selection start day and time.
- Every Friday prior to the next phase of room selection week, our vacant space list is updated by 5 pm for the next phase of room selection.
- Must meet eligibility requirements if selecting in West, Chavez , Tubman, and/or Graduate Housing.
- Monday, March 25 - 2019-2020 Resident Assistant Room Selection
- Tuesday, March 26 - Friday, March 29 - Return to your Current Building Alone
- Tuesday, April 2 - Friday, April 5 - Return to your Current Building Group
- Tuesday, April 9 - Friday, April 12 - Choose Any Available Space
Resident Assistant Room Selection Criteria:
- Hired for a 2019-2020 RA position
- Select their room assignment and the room assignments for all preferred roommates (including suite and apartment spaces).
Return to your Current Building Alone:
- Must have current assignment in building.
- Cannot select for anyone else to live with you.
Return to your Current Building Group:
- Anyone in your group can make a room selection for the whole group after that individual's room selection start day and time.
- You must fill remaining spaces in the room, suite, or apartment in order to select the space.
Choose Any Available Space:
- Do not have to form groups to chose.
- If in a group, you must select a room, suite, or apartment for all members of your group or edit your group prior to selection.
- Everyone must have a room selected by 3 PM on April 12 to have housing for the 2019-2020 year.
Phase 3 of Room Selection: April 15 - April 19.
For Individuals looking to do a one for one swap or choose a vacant space that they are eligible for.
- Monday, April 15, 2019 & Tuesday, April 16, 2019
- Nominate / Post your Fall 2019 bed space for a room swap.
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019 & Thursday, April 18, 2019
- Request / Accept swap requests from other students interested in swapping rooms for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Friday, April 19, 2019
- Verify your new Fall 2019 bed space. Make sure your confirmation page reflects your new room assignment.
Students who miss or do not finish Room Selection will not be offered housing for the 2019-2020 academic year.
All room selections are final.
Use the Interactive Space Filter here to view which rooms are still available, which will be available on March 22 at 5 PM.
*Please note that this filter is dynamic and that availability of space will change daily and at the beginning of each phase of the Room Selection process as spaces placed on Administrative Hold earlier in the process will be made available during later phases of the Room Selection process
*Residents who want to use the Interactive Space Filter to identify available spaces may do so beginning at 5 pm the Friday prior to the week they plan to select their 2019-2020 room assignment.
Should you have any questions/require addition information about the Room Selection process please feel free to email email@example.com or contact the Office of Campus Residences at 631-632-6750.
Phase 3 Step by Step Tutorial Video
Room Selection Information Session Slideshow
Room Selection Information Session Live Stream