Policies & Procedures
Personal Training & Instruction
Instruction for pay or trade by outside entities is strictly prohibited and could jeopardize membership privileges for all parties involved. Personal training and instruction is limited to Campus Recreation staff.
Please store all personal items in a locker. Day lockers are available throughout the facility and in both locker rooms. Locks are available to purchase for $8. Any unattended items will be collected and brough to the lost & found area.
Lost & Found
Items, regardless of value, are logged into the lost and found spreadsheet located at the front desk. You may ask the coordinator to review the lost & found log to locate your item. ID cards may be turned over to the Campus Card office within a business day. Residence Hall keys will be turned into the Risk Management Clerk at (631) 632- 6750 to determine the owner. Any items unclaimed beyond 60 days will be discarded. Clothing may be donated.
Lost student ID card procedure: The student is contacted via phone. If the call is unanswered, a voicemail shall be left and a follow-up email will be sent to the individual. The voicemail and follow-up email shall indicate the location of the identification card and that the student has 24 hours to pick up the card before being sent to the Campus Card Office. Main Campus Administration Building, Room 254. In the event efforts to contact the individual have failed, the unclaimed identification card will be returned to the Campus Card Office after 24 hours since the initial contact attempt.
Removal from Facility or Program
Recreation Staff reserve the right to eject anyone whose behavior is unruly or illegal in nature. Membership privileges will be revoked without a refund and the individual(s) will be escorted from the facility. UPD may be contacted. Any Community Standards violations will be reported.
Food & Drink
Food and gum are prohibited in the Walter J. Hawrys Campus Recreation Center. Water is the only acceptable beverage in the facility. Any sport drinks, protein shake, soda, and non-water beverages are not allowed. Glass bottles are not allowed in the Recreation Center and all bottles must be resealable.
Bicycles & Other Wheeled Vehicles including Skateboards and Scooters
Campus Recreation supports the use of alternative transportation; however, wheeled vehicles (e.g., bicycles, skates, skateboards, and scooters) are not permitted in the Walter J. Hawrys Campus Recreation Center. Bicycles may be parked in the appropriate racks near the entrance to the building at the owner's risk. Bicycles and scooters locked to fences, handrails, trees, or signs risk being removed.
All visitors must check in at the front desk. Any individual entering the facility must provide photo ID or a Stony Brook University ID card. If at any time you notice an outsider/non-member of the University who makes you feel uncomfortable or whom you feel could endanger our members, notify a supervisor or professional staff member.
Second Floor Fitness Area
Hand weights and dumbbells are not permitted on cardiovascular equipment. Proper exercise attire is required. Shirts are required at all times. Cut-offs or altered shirts , jeans, belts, khakis or clothing that may damage upholstery are prohibited. Closed-toe shoes must be worn at all times. No sandals, Crocs, clogs, dress shoes, or boots permitted. Wipe down the equipment after each use. Personal and/or instructional training other than that scheduled through Campus Recreation is prohibited. Bags of any kind or any loose personal items should be secured in the lockers located throughout the building. Wear the safety lanyard when using the treadmills. Report injuries and/or equipment concerns immediately to a staff member.
Equipment Issue Area
A Stony Brook University ID card is required to check-out equipment. Patrons are responsible for all items issued to them. All issued equipment must be returned 15 minutes prior to closing. Issued items may be used in the intended areas only. A $25 fee will be assessed for any lost, stolen or damaged equipment. Individuals who do not return equipment may face facility suspension until items are returned or paid for.
Plese follow the directional signal displayed on the scoreclock. Joggers use inner lanes. Walkers use outer lanes. Standing/spectating in any of the track lanes is prohibited. Bags of or personal items should be secured in the daily lockers located throughout the building. Report injuries and/or equipment concerns immediately to a staff member.
For your safety and comfort, hanging on rims, nets or dasher boards is prohibited. Proper exercise attire and non-marking athletic footwear is required. Unsportsmanlike conduct is prohibited. Bags or any personal items should be secured in the daily lockers located throughout the building. Report injuries and/or equipment concerns immediately to a staff member.
For your safety and comfort, wipe off all equipment when you are finished. Fitness equipment should be used only for its intended purpose. Do not remove equipment from activity rooms. Personal hand weights are not permitted. Using a towel during exercises on mats is recommended. Shirts required at all times. Bags or personal items should be secured in the daily lockers located throughout the building or cubbies located in studios.
For your safety and comfort, all equipment must remain in weight room. Re-rack dumbbells, free weights, and plates after use. Collars are required on all barbell lifts. Chalk is not allowed. Olympic Platforms are the only areas where weights may be dropped to the floor. Rubber coated bumper plates must be used on platforms. Standing or placing feet on benches or equipment frames is not permitted. Be courteous allow others to use equipment/station while you are between sets. Wipe down the equipment after each use. If you are unsure how to use a machine, seek assistance from a staff member. Proper exercise attire is required at all times: cut-offs or altered shirts, jeans, belts, khakis or clothing that may damage upholstery prohibited. Closed-toe shoes must be worn at all times. No sandals, clogs, dress shoes or boots permitted. Bags or other personal items should be secured in the daily lockers located throughout the building. Report injuries and/or equipment concerns immediately to a staff member.
For your safety and comfort, hanging on rims or nets is prohibited. Proper exercise attire and non-marking athletic footwear is required. Unsportsmanlike conduct is prohibited. Bags or personal items should be secured in the daily lockers located throughout the building. Report injuries and/or equipment concerns immediately to a staff member.
For your safety and comfort, provide your own lock, secure your belongings, and do not leave personal items in an unsecured locker. Lockers are available for daily use only (no overnight storage is permitted). Locks must be removed 15 minutes prior to closing. Locks are available for purchase in the lobby for $8. Personal locks left overnight will be removed. Hair dying or bleaching is not permitted in the locker room. Photography and videotaping is strictly prohibited. If this room is in need of custodial services, please advise a staff member.
In accordance with New York State Law, items left behind with a value of $20 or more will be brought to the Walter J. Hawrys Campus Recreation Center Administration Office and may be turned over to UPD. The staff will make attempts to contact individuals who left items behind and make arrangements for pickup.
Storing Personal Belongings
Lockers are for daily use only. Storage of belongings for students and/or student Recreation Center employees is strictly prohibited and will result in disciplinary action.
Policies for Reservations & Events for Student Organizations
- All reservation requests for use of Recreation and Wellness facilities should be submitted through 25 Live. Club and organization leaders should contact their Student Engagement & Activities program advisor directly with any specific questions regarding the use of Recreation facilities.
- Everyone must have a CRC membership to use any indoor space. If not a list must be submitted to your liason at least 1 week prior of all participants who do not have a membership. Any event that contains “non-university participants” must be stated in the initial reservation. Recreation and Wellness staff reserve the right to deny non-university participants and will communicate this to the group’s program advisor at least 24 hours before the event.
- Only water is allowed in the indoor programming areas, not exceptions. NO GLASS, or sport drinks
- Proper athletic attire is required in the indoor programming areas (no jeans, shoes, etc.).
Note: This policy does not apply to spectators.
- No bags/clothing permitted to be stored in the programming areas (lockers are available).
- All equipment used for any of the indoor/outdoor spaces must be approved at least 1 week prior to event.
- No fundraising/money is allowed to be exchanged in any of the indoor/outdoor spaces unless approved by your program advisor and noted in your 25 Live reservation. Cash transactions are not permitted.
- All event details must be finalized at least 3 days prior to the scheduled event. Any events with outstanding concerns beyond that point have the potential to be rescheduled.
- External coaches must be cleared and given a “Rec-Center ID” to enter the building (needs to be set up prior to first practice).
- Graduate students who are not members must pay for membership or purchase a guest pass (if a group is block booked into the facility).
- Non-Member guest lists (including graduate students without memberships) must be provided no later than 3 days in advance of events, otherwise group will need to pay guest fees. Program advisors reserve the right to restrict guest lists/policies. Recreation and Wellness staff reserve the right to deny non-university participants and will communicate this to the group’s program advisor at least 24 hours before the event.
- Any food in outdoor spaces will require custodial @ $74 per hour minimum 4 hours.
- Events with more than 100 people may require a site supervisor 30 minutes prior to event start, through 30 minutes after event breakdown @ $15.00/hour. Program Advisors will work with Campus Recreation staff to determine when additional staffing is needed to ensure the safety of participants/preserve the facility.
- The only indoor area where food is permitted is the multi-purpose room, which must be requested and approved through 25Live prior to the date of the event.
- Wood Court #1: (Capacity 135)
- Wood Court #2: (Capacity 135)
- Wood Court #3: (Capacity 135)
- Mac Ct. #1: (Capacity 70)
- Mac Ct. #2: (Capacity 140)
- Wellness Studio 128: (Capacity 47)
- Wellness Studio 216: (Capacity 32)
- South Field A (turf/lights): (Capacity 2000)
- South Field B (grass/lights): (Capacity 2000)
- South Field C (grass/lights): (Capacity 2000)
- IM Complex Grass Field #1 (grass): (Capacity 2000)
- IM Complex Grass Field #2 (grass): (Capacity 2000)
- IM Complex Softball field #1: (Capacity 2000)
- IM Complex Softball Field #2: (Capacity 2000)
- Multi-purpose Room #1 (smart board, laptop, tables/chairs) : (Capacity 25)
- Multi- purpose Room #2 (table/chairs, mirror) : (Capacity 25)
- CRC Lobby Table #1 (for tabling events, table + 2 chairs)
- CRC Lobby Table #2 (for tabling events, table + 2 chairs)
- CRC Lobby Table #3 (for tabling events, table + 2 chairs)
- CRC Lobby Table #4 (for tabling events, table + 2 chairs)
Reservation Restrictions & Tips
- Prime time requests will not be accepted for indoor programming areas Monday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm unless granted approval by Recreation staff and SEA program advisor for a large-scale events.
- Recreation fields are not available Monday – Thursday from 6pm – 11pm
- The best time to request space is mornings or Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
- We only book for the current semester. We do not take reservations for future semesters unless granted approval by Campus Recreation staff and SEA program advisor for a large-scale event.
- Wellness Studio’s space is only available when there are no classes scheduled and can be booked during “prime time” hours.
- Groups requesting use of the Wellness Studios must complete the Wellness Studio Contract Form prior to requesting space.
- Maximum number of hours groups are allowed to schedule in the facility is 6 hours/week. Maximum time block is 1 ½ hours during prime time or 2 hours “non-prime time.’
- We aim to keep one court available at all times for open/drop-in recreation.
- Student organizations may not share reserved spaces with our groups, or individuals, without permission from the club sport office. This policy exisists due to the risk associated with student organizations.