Step by Step
It is recommended that you begin your search three to four months in advance. Follow the nine steps below to guide yourself through the consuming process of renting and moving. Click HERE for a printable version of the following content.
If you are considering renting off-campus, begin at least three months in advance to ensue ample time to find the right place for you.
Ask yourself the following questions before you begin your search:
- How much can I afford per month for rent?
- What is in my budget (loans, job earnings, parental support)?
- Do I want a roommate(s)?
- How far am I willing to commute?
- What type of transportation will I require?
- What type of neighborhood would I like?
Click HERE to view legal rental options
Ask yourself the following questions while looking through rental options:
- Is the rental furnished or unfurnished?
- Are utilities included or excluded?
- How will I commute? (car, bus, train)
- What is the parking situation (if applicable)?
- Who will be responsible for damages? Repairs? Landscaping?
Complete a Renter's Checklist as you conduct a full inspection of the property. Once completed for each rental under consideration, determine which option is best for you.
Our website offers a free roommate listing service to Stony Brook University community members. We also offer a comprehensive list of questions to ask a prospective roommate. Click HERE to learn more.
- See Lease 101 to fully understand what a lease should include.
- Only sign the lease once both parties, prospective tenant and prospective landlord, understand and have agreed to its terms.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions or propose changes.
- Keep a copy of the lease for your records.
- Electric, PSEG: 1 (631) 755-6000
- Gas, National Grid: 1 (800) 930-5003
- Trash Service
- Water Service
- Internet Service
- Official address (NY State DMV and US Post Office)
- Will you use moving services? Will you rent a UHaul?
- Do you need to purchase furniture? Will you need to schedule deliveries?Once you have been safely moved into your rental, check back to this site to review your rights as a tenant and the safety precautions that we have listed.