Skip Navigation


Click here to read the complete University Conduct Code

Alcohol, Drugs & Gambling (page 22)

The University recognizes all Federal, New York State and Local laws and expects students to adhere to them. Specifically, the University puts students on notice that its campus offers no haven from the violation of applicable Local, State or Federal law.

a. Alcoholic beverages. New York State Law and the Policy for On-Campus Sales, Service and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages prohibit the sale, giving and serving of alcoholic beverages to those under the age of 21, and their guests, even if the guest is over the age of 21. Campus Alcohol Policy prohibits the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under the age of 21. The unauthorized consumption of alcohol or unauthorized possession of an open container of alcohol or public intoxication is prohibited. All students, residents and guests must comply with the Policy for On-Campus Sales, Service and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages. Copies of the Campus Alcohol Policy are available in the Department of Student Union and Activities, Division of Campus Residences, and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Executive Area and the Stony Brook University website. 

1. Excessive consumption-bulk containers. To discourage excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages in the residence halls and apartments, bulk containers of alcohol larger than one gallon (e.g., kegs, beer balls, punch bowls, bottles, draft containers of wine, etc.) are prohibited in all residence halls and apartments and the grounds surrounding the residence halls and apartments. 
2. Excessive consumption-student rooms. To discourage excessive consumption, large quantities of beer, wine, or hard liquor, are prohibited in student rooms. No individual student may possess in their room more than six (6) 12 oz. bottles/cans of beer OR ½ gallon of wine OR .5 or ½ liter of spirits at one time, providing the authorized occupants of the room are 21 and over. 
3. Alcohol (beer, wine, liquor or spirits) should not be stored in common areas of apartment or suite unless all residents are over 21 years of age. If the suite or apartment residents are of mixed ages including over 21 and under 21, then all alcohol must be stored in the legal drinkers’ bedroom and cannot exceed the allotted amount. Any resident over 21 years of age who wishes to drink in the common area of the suite or apartment can only have one (1) can/bottle of beer or glass of wine or mixed drink at a time. 
4. Items and paraphernalia the encourage excessive consumption of alcohol, including but not limited to funnels, beer helmets, beer pong tables, are prohibited in all residence halls and apartments. 

b. Zero Tolerance Law. Section 1192-a. Operating a vehicle after having consumed alcohol; under the age of 21; per se. (Effective November 1, 1996, S5960, Chapter 196 of the Laws of 1996). 
No person under the age of 21 shall operate a motor vehicle after having consumed alcohol as defined in this section. For purposes of this section, a person under the age of 21 is deemed to have consumed alcohol only if such person has .02 of one per centum or more but not more than .07 of one per centum by weight of alcohol in the person’s blood, as shown by chemical analysis of such person’s blood, breath, urine, or saliva, made pursuant to the provisions of section 1194 of this article. 

c. Illegal drug possession, use, sale and the possession of drug paraphernalia. No student shall possess, use or sell substances defined by New York State or Federal Law as illegal. No student shall possess substances defined as controlled, other than personally prescribed medications, by New York State and/or Federal Law. No student shall introduce to the campus or possess drug paraphernalia including, but not limited to: bongs, water pipes, roach clips, blunts or hypodermic needles (not specifically for the administering of prescribed medications). 

d. Gambling. No student shall gamble for money or other valuables on University property or in any University facility except as part of an authorized fundraising activity.