Skip Navigation


 Student Assistant

Student Assistant positions are offered and paid by Stony Brook University departments and are open to any SBU student with a social security number, regardless of their financial aid package, year in school, or citizenship. Students in these positions may work a maximum of 29 hours a week among all positions.

 ♦ Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistants may work up to 20 hours a week and often work as .1 - .9 FTE. They can sometimes be paid through a stipend or tuition reimbursement. Please Note: You may also be a considered a regular Student Assistant even if you have graduate status. 

 ♦ Research Assistant

Research Assistants are hired by faculty to assist in executing an academic research agenda. Depending on the department, a research assistant may work 20 or 29 hours during the school year depending on the department and up to 40 hours over the summer.

 ♦ Federal Work Study On-Campus (FWS)

Offered through the federal campus-based aid program, Federal Work Study (FWS) provides qualifying students employment opportunities to fund their college education. FWS salaries vary, depending on how much the student is granted and how many hours they will be working per week. These students may work up to 40 hours a week. Please adhere to these dates when filling out your FAFSA and applying for Federal Work Study.

Student Type Priority Deadline
Freshman February 15th
Continuing February 15th

Like Student Assistant positions, a student is not eligible for employment under the Federal Work Study program unless they have a valid SSN. 

 ♦ Community Service Federal Work Study Off-Campus (CSFWS)

The Community Service Federal Work Study program (CSFWS) is a federally subsidized work program, which provides eligible students the opportunity to work for a public or 501 (c) 3 non-profit sector organization whose mission and work benefit the community.  

Stony Brook University participates in the Community Service FWS program during both: the academic year and summer semesters. The Career Center  works with several community-based agencies that offer these positions to eligible students. 
What are the benefits?
Participation in CS FWS allows students to combine the financial need for work with the personal desire to help the community and expand industry experience. Eligible students have the opportunity to:
  • Design a service experience in collaboration with a partnering organization. 
  • Network and make career contacts
  • Receive FWS funds in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck

* It is recommended for students to have their own transportation to commute to and from the employer site.  

Who is eligible?
The Financial Aid Office determines each student’s semester eligibility and maximum earnings . Matriculated undergraduate/graduate students who have a financial aid package may qualify for CS FWS, with the following exceptions:
  • International students are not eligible
  • Graduating seniors are not eligible the summer after their senior year
For more information and with questions on how to secure a CS FWS position, please contact the Career Career at 631-632-6810 or 

Requirements for Working on Campus

Be matriculated/ (fees paid) in the current semester - a matriculated student is any student who is admitted to the University and is pursuing a degree on a full time basis.

Be in good academic standing - students are in good academic standing if they earn at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and are not on academic warning/probation.

Provide a Social Security Number (SSN) and Identification – an original SS card is required. International students need to obtain a SSN to work on-campus. If you recently received your SS card, please visit the Registrar to update your records. You may contact Visa & Immigration Services at 631-632-4685, at, or in Melville Library’s E5310 with any questions you may have. 

I-9 Form/Employment Eligibility Verification - when completing the I-9 form, you must provide an original picture ID and original proof of your citizenship (birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.). Copies of documents cannot be faxed or emailed; you must bring in the original document - this is federally mandated. Be sure to sign all documents as well.

Attend the New Student Employee Orientation - this orientation, held several times each semester, is mandatory if you wish to work on-campus. This orientation will explain work eligibility, types of positions, work hour restrictions, and workplace etiquette. Additionally, it will prepare and educate you for a job on campus, clarifying any possible questions and problems and helping you become acclimated with workplace expectations.

Work Hours Restrictions

These are the maximum hours you may work per week for each position. Even if you have more than one job you must adhere to these restrictions.

Federal Work Study = 40 hours per week

Student Assistant= 29 hours per week

Research Assistant= 20/29 hours per week

International Student = 20 hours per week unless otherwise specified 

Research Foundation Statement of Policy

In order for an employee to be appointed to a student title, the employee must satisfy all three of the following criteria:

  • The employee is enrolled as a full-time SUNY student. An employee is a SUNY student during the period that begins on the first day of the first semester in which he or she is enrolled and ends with the last day of the last semester during which he or she is enrolled.
  • The employee is engaged in work related to the student's education and training that leads to the fulfillment of the academic program; and
  • The employee is working part time during the academic year when classes are in session.

    When any one of the three criteria is not satisfied, the employee must be appointed to a nonstudent title. Then the current established Research Foundation fringe benefit rate would be applied to salaries and wages earned, and the employee would be eligible for fringe benefits on the same basis as other employees.

Students are generally appointed by semester and do not work continuously over a 12 month period.

Academic Year

Students work part-time during the academic year when classes are in session. Campuses may limit the number of hours to 20 hours per week based on campus policy. Students with good academic standing may work more hours (but no more than 25 hours per week) during the academic school year to support the business need.

International students are limited per USCIS regulations to working no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.


Login to Edit