Latest COVID Guidance
As of 7/20/21
- Chancellor Jim Malatras’ USA Today Network Op-Ed : SUNY students need the vaccine. Don't pass up a shot at normalcy.
- Details on SUNY’s 30-Day Vax Challenge for unvaccinated students: Don't Wait. Get Vaccinated Now Before Returning to Campus this Fall.
- Latest SUNY COVID-19 guidance (updated July 8): Please take a moment to review this document from SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras. While it provides general guidance, it is important to note that protocols may be different depending on your affiliation with Stony Brook. If you are a Stony Brook Medicine employee, testing and screening requirements are still in effect, and mask guidance and physical distancing are also required for these employees, regardless of your vaccination status (please see detailed information below).
- Please log onto SOLAR to submit your vaccination status, which will allow you to take advantage of more relaxed COVID-19 protocols for fully vaccinated individuals outlined in the updated SUNY guidance above. Click here for instructions.
- All patient-care/patient-facing areas and public spaces, including the hospital lobby and all other hallways and common areas where you can encounter patients.
- While you are in the hospital cafeteria.
- When in the sitting areas of The Brook, by Jamba Juice and in Panera. Again, you are allowed to remove your mask only when actively eating or drinking and must continue to practice social distancing.
When you are walking from the Health Sciences Tower and entering the hospital.
The following COVID-19 protocol guidelines are based on the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations’ (GOER’s) Revised Guidance for State Agencies and Authorities during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency , released June 18. “Fully vaccinated individuals” means those who have submitted their full vaccination status to HR.
- Fully vaccinated individuals do not need to be physically distanced, indoors or out.
- Individuals who are unvaccinated and/or whose vaccination status is unknown need to continue to maintain six feet of distance, in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Fully vaccinated individuals do not need to wear masks, indoors or out.
- Unvaccinated/unknown vaccination status individuals need to wear masks, in accordance with federal CDC guidelines.
- Unvaccinated/unknown vaccination status individuals may remove their mask indoors while physically distanced, seated and/or eating/drinking, or while working at their workstation.
- Unvaccinated/unknown individuals may remove their mask outdoors unless they are in a gathering or crowded event where they are unable to maintain six feet of physical distancing.
Whether fully vaccinated or not, individuals will also continue to be required to wear masks in patient-facing areas, per CDC guidelines. These include:
- All healthcare facilities, including all Stony Brook Medicine buildings, which encompass the hospitals, the Health Sciences and Basic Sciences Towers and all outpatient areas.
Mask wearing will also be required at Student Health Services (SHS) and the COVID testing centers for faculty, staff and students on West Campus.
Please keep in mind that you can always choose to wear a mask, based on your comfort level or preference in any setting, even if you’re fully vaccinated. Also, we need to respect each others’ preferences for mask wearing, particularly in close settings.
- Fully vaccinated employees (including auxiliary workers and vendors with a regular on-campus presence) may opt out from mandatory weekly testing upon submitting documentation showing completion of a full vaccination series.
- Individuals who submit proof of being fully vaccinated will only be required to test approximately once a month. This COVID PCR surveillance testing will take place regularly, and you will be randomly assigned and notified by email. Please continue to test each week until we provide you with details on how to provide your vaccination information through SOLAR.
- Mandatory weekly surveillance testing will continue to be required for any person who has a physical presence on campus and who has not been fully vaccinated or who has not shown proof of vaccination.
- Contractors and outside vendors should continue with the current process they follow.
CampusClear Daily Self-Screening
- Employees will no longer be required to self-screen before coming to their campus worksite.
- We will, however, ask you to complete the daily CampusClear health screening app if you do not feel well or want to monitor for any symptoms before you leave to work on campus. The screening will also advise you on next steps.
come to campus if you don’t feel well, and contact the Health Information Line (HIL)
at (631) 632-5000, Option #1 with any COVID-related concerns or positive test results.
- If you do not feel well or want to monitor for any symptoms before you leave your residence hall/apartment/home, complete the CampusClear health screening app. Do not come to campus or classes if you do not feel well.
- All fully vaccinated residential students may opt out from mandatory twice a week (or weekly for commuter students) testing upon the submission of documentation showing completion of a full vaccination series.
- All vaccinated students will be required to participate in free, on-campus COVID PCR surveillance testing approximately once a month. This COVID PCR surveillance testing will take place regularly, and you will be randomly assigned and notified by email.
- All unvaccinated residential students are required to participate in free, on-campus COVID PCR testing two times a week during the fall semester. The testing location is the Alan S. deVries Center (former GLS/HDV Center), 2nd floor.
- All unvaccinated commuter students are required to participate in free, on-campus COVID PCR testing once a week during the Fall semester. The testing location is the SAC Ballroom B.