Leadership and Networking Opportunities
The Higher Education Administration program seeks to ensure that all graduates have a strong skill set to be successful practitioners in higher education. The program strongly encourages students to become involved in the student advisory board as well as higher education groups and associations. With advisory board assistance, the program plans networking events, organizes guest lectures, and hosts special higher education-focused engagements.
Several websites provide information about career opportunities in higher education and student affairs, including:
Job opportunities are also posted on Stony Brook's Career Center website through Handshake.
There are many outstanding higher education and student affairs associations. Below is a list of some of these organizations:
- AACRAO – American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- ACCA – American College Counseling Association
- ACUHO-I – Association of College and University Housing Officers—International
- ACPA – College Student Educators International
- NACADA – National Academic Advising Association
- NACA – National Association for Campus Activities
- NACUBO – National Association of College and University Business Officers
- NASFAA – National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
- NASPA – Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- NCDA – National Career Development Association
- NODA – National Orientation Directors Association
Careers in Higher Education Conference
Stony Brook University is sponsors an annual fall conference for emerging professionals and students interested in pursuing careers in higher education administration. Now in its seventh year, this free event offers networking opportunities and informative workshops from leaders in the field.
Registration for this event will be available in September 2018. For More Information please contact Samantha Lodato, Assistant Director, Higher Education Administration program.
Higher Education Administration Association
The Higher Education Administration Association is a group of and for students enrolled in Stony Brook University's Higher Education Administration programs. It is intended to connect students with their peers to have open dialogues and build community among members.
The goals of this group are to:
- Help new HEA students with their transition to the program
- Facilitate networking among peers, alumni, and faculty
- Increase awareness of University culture and opportunities (including potential funding as a recognized student group)
- Encourage career advancement opportunities