Higher Education Administration Admissions
Progams of Study
All students must be matriculated into one of the Higher Education Administration programs to take classes. There are four program options on the application to select from:
- Face-to-face Master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
- Face-to-face Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
Learn more about HEA program offerings and chat with with an advisor!
Required Application Materials
The Admissions Committee considers the following required materials from each applicant: personal statement, essay, resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts of undergraduate and/or graduate level coursework. We do not require GRE scores for admission purposes. Receipt of an official transcript showing completion of a bachelor's degree is required before starting graduate classes at Stony Brook.
To ensure your application materials are complete and ready for processing, applicants* should order their degree-bearing** transcript to be sent to their intended program upon submission of the electronic application.
* Applicants who have earned the required degree at Stony Brook University do not
need to order/send transcripts as they can be accessed internally.
** Undergraduate transcripts are required for application to Advanced Graduate Certificate (AGC) or Master's programs
The program offers admission for the summer/fall and spring terms.
- For spring 2019 admission, the application deadline is October 1, 2018.
- For summer/fall 2019 admission, the application deadline is March 15, 2019. Face-to-face applicants who are seeking on-campus graduate employment opportunities are encouraged to apply by March 1, 2019. Note that applicants admitted for summer/fall have the opportunity -- but are not required -- to take summer courses.
Once all required application materials are received, the Admissions Committee reviews the applicant's complete file. Decisions are communicated via email from the School of Professional Development to the applicant.