The Summer Institute Combines Face-to-Face and Online Learning with Networking and Social Activities
HEA 540 Critical Issues in Higher Education
This course is designed to acquaint students with critical/emerging issues in the field of higher education, with a focus on administration. This course asks students to explore, examine and discuss challenges and concerns facing the present and future of higher education. Using several pedagogical techniques, students will be challenged to analyze different topics toward a constructively critical perspective. This course is presented in a "think tank" format that will require students to share their thoughts and reflect on their experience. May be repeated 2 times for a maximum of 6 credits.
If you are a face-to-face or online student, this is your chance to be on Stony Brook’s campus for a full week in the summer. HEA 540 Critical Issues in Higher Education will focus on a variety of timely topics and issues. The course will include some online components in June and July, with the class meeting face-to-face on the Stony Brook West campus from 9 am – 5 pm (with occasional evening activities).
Previous Topics have included:
Summer 2015 - Leadership in Higher Education
Summer 2016 - Challenges & Concerns in Higher Education
Summer 2017 - College Student Wellness
Summer 2018 - Institutional Strategic Planning
Organizational Theory & Frames in Higher Education Administration – On-Campus: Monday, June 3 – Friday, June 7, 2019, 9am – 5pm
Instructor: Jeff Barnett
The purpose of this course is to expose students to the literature on Organizational Theory as applied to higher education. The course provides a conceptual framework for understanding how institutions of higher education organize and operate. We will cover the conceptual foundations and practical applications of major theories of organization from a wide variety of social science perspectives. Specifically, we will review major strands of organization theory with application to education, including: organizational structure, resource dependence, strategy, symbols, institutional theory, organizational culture, socialization, leadership and decision making.
College Student Wellness - On-campus: Monday, July 15 - Friday, July 19, 9am - 5pm
Instructor: Julie Muller
This year's HEA Summer Institute focuses on the topic of wellness, with special attention given to the college student population and other members of the higher education community. In this class, students will engage in reflective discussion and writing to further their understanding of wellness, and the role that higher education administrators play in supporting overall wellness on campus. The class will include guest speakers and visits to campus resources to more critically explore the viewpoints and behaviors that impact physical, mental, emotional, social, and intellectual wellness.
* All registered students are required to pay a $50 Professional Development Experience fee. A link will be sent out to registered students shortly to collect the payment.*
Stony Brook Residence Halls:
$84 nightly rate
Includes a single room with linens and toiletries
Registration and can be accessed here: Higher Education Administration Program Summer Institute Registration Link
Hilton Garden Inn (located on the Stony Brook campus)
6/2/19 - 6/6/19 - $145 per night
- When booking by phone please call 631.941.2980 x 0 and ask for Group Code SPDJUN to receive your discounted rate
- When booking via email please utilize this link to receive your discounted rate - https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/gi/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=ISPSBGI&spec_plan=SPDJUN&arrival=20190602&departure=20190607&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
7/14/19 - 7/19/19 - $231 per night
- When booking by phone please call 631.941.2980 x 0 and ask for Group Code SPDJUL to receive your discounted rate
- When booking via email please utilize this link to receive your discounted rate - https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/gi/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=ISPSBGI&spec_plan=SPDJUL&arrival=20190714&departure=20190719&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.