The Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance admits students who have the talent and desire to succeed in a financial management career.
- Baccalaureate degree, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Personal statement. Students must submit a statement of 750-1000 words that is a reflection of their
ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical thinking,
analysis and research. The statement must also address the following questions:
- What is your purpose in pursuing an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance?
- How have you prepared yourself for a career in finance? (Include any relevant undergraduate, graduate, or professional experience.)
- Specifically, how will the Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Resume. Students must submit their most recent resume showing their work history.
Please note: The AGC in Finance program is not open to current MBA in Finance students.
The application process consists of the following:
- Go to the Apply Yourself website and click on the "Create Account" button. By creating an account, you will receive a unique ID so you can check your application status online. You will be given a choice of programs for which to apply.
- Upload your personal statement (as described above) and resume.
- Submit the nonrefundable $100 application fee via credit card. (Instructions are on the Apply Yourself website.)
- Arrange to have an official, sealed copy of your transcript sent to the program coordinator (see address below). The transcript must show that you have earned a bachelor's degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (if your GPA is lower than 3.0, please see the note on Conditional Admission, below). If you earned your bachelor's or master's from Stony Brook, SPD will access your transcript electronically.
- Students who take courses on campus will also be required to submit an immunization form (PDF) to Student Health Services. Visit the Student Health Service for more information.
If your official transcript indicates an undergraduate cumulative GPA below 3.0, you will be considered for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted part-time students must achieve a 3.00 GPA after attempting six graduate credits (applicable to their program) at Stony Brook. Full-time students (12 or more credits) must achieve a 3.00 GPA after their first semester. If a 3.00 GPA is not achieved as aforementioned, students normally will not be permitted to re-enroll. However, a student may petition SPD's Committee on Academic Standing to be allowed to continue taking courses as a non-matriculated student.
Erica Hackley, Graduate Coordinator
College of Business, Office of Student Services
Harriman Hall, Room 109
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3775
- Fall: July 15
- Spring: December 15
- Summer I: April 15
- Summer II: June 1
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: October 1