The Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance admits students who have the talent and desire to succeed in a financial management career.
Requirements marked by "*" will be in effect for those applying to the Spring 2019 term.
- Baccalaureate degree, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- General Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores.* GMAT scores are required for applicants whose cumulative undergraduate GPA is less than 3.2. (Visit www.mba.com for more information on how to take the test.) We will accept the GRE in lieu of the GMAT. A GMAT waiver may be considered for applicants earning below a 3.2 if they have significant and relevant work experience. (This will be determined through a resume review and letters of recommendation.)
Personal statement. Prospective students must submit a statement of 750-1000 words that is a reflection
of their ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical
thinking, analysis and research. The statement must also address the following questions:
- What is your purpose in pursuing an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance?
- How have you prepared yourself for a career in finance? (Include any relevant undergraduate, graduate, or professional experience.)
- Specifically, how will the Advanced Graduate Certificate in Finance assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Resume. Students must submit their most recent resume showing their work history.
- Three letters of recommendation from current or former employers or professors.* These should be submitted electronically through Apply Yourself.
Please note: The AGC in Finance program is not open to current MBA in Finance students.
The application process consists of the following:
- Go to the Apply Yourself website and click on the "Create Account" button. By creating an account, you will receive a unique ID so you can check your application status online. You will be given a choice of programs for which to apply.
- Upload your personal statement (as described above) and resume.
- Submit the nonrefundable $100 application fee via credit card. (Instructions are on the Apply Yourself website.)
- Arrange to have an official, sealed copy of your transcript sent to the program coordinator (see address below). The transcript must show that you have earned a bachelor's degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (if your GPA is lower than 3.0, please see the note on Conditional Admission, below). If you earned your bachelor's or master's from Stony Brook, SPD will access your transcript electronically.
- Students who take courses on campus will also be required to submit an immunization form (PDF) to Student Health Services. Visit the Student Health Service for more information.
If your official transcript indicates an undergraduate cumulative GPA below 3.0, you will be considered for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted part-time students must achieve a 3.00 GPA after attempting six graduate credits (applicable to their program) at Stony Brook. Full-time students (12 or more credits) must achieve a 3.00 GPA after their first semester. If a 3.00 GPA is not achieved as aforementioned, students normally will not be permitted to re-enroll. However, a student may petition SPD's Committee on Academic Standing to be allowed to continue taking courses as a non-matriculated student.
Erica Hackley, Graduate Coordinator
College of Business, Office of Student Services
Harriman Hall, Room 109
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3775
- Fall: July 15
- Spring: December 15
- Summer I: April 15
- Summer II: June 1
- Fall: April 1
- Spring: October 1