SoMAS became a school at Stony Brook University in 2007, but we have existed for more than 50 years as the Marine Sciences Research Center ( MSRC) and the Institute for Terrestrial and Planetary Atmospheres ( ITPA). In 2015, the Sustainability Studies Department ( SUS) became part of SoMAS.
This page attempts to capture a piece of that history by providing links to digitized information, reports, images and video. SoMAS has published several series of reports and documents that are available here.
- Digital repository of Biennial Reports, Current Research and Graduate Studies Publications, Convocation Programs and Speeches, Letters, and Memos.
- Archive of MSRC and SoMAS newsletters, including the MSRC Bulletin and MSRC Soundings
Coastal Ocean Pollution Assessment News (COPAS) Man and the Marine Environment
- The purpose of Coastal Ocean Pollution Assessment (COPAS) News, published from 1980 – 1987 through a NOAA Partnership, was to provide timely dissemination of information on pollution in coastal waters of the United States – its sources and effects, what is being done to eliminate or mitigate it, and what research and monitoring activities are being conducted to develop more effective strategies to manage it. We publish brief articles describing recent’ events and activities, new approaches to resolving chronic pollution problems, and early warnings of potential problems.
- The Technical Reports (1967-1976) Series was published as a means of making preliminary technical data available to the scientific community and interested members of the community. Issuance of a Technical Report does not constitute formal publication as defined in the International Rules of Zoological and Botanical Nomenclature.
- The Special Reports (1975-present) Series was a set of reports published internally as a means of more rapidly reporting the results of its research than would typically occur in the standard refereed scientific literature. Much of the research described in these reports, however, was also eventually published in scientific journals, proceedings and books.
- The Working Papers (1981-1993) Series was a set of reports published internally as a means to provide data, valuable locally, that are not generally published in national journals.
- Videos created on behalf of the MSRC, including the Science of Long Island Sound Series.
- Documentation of the conversion process of the F/V Bagatell into the flagship of the SoMAS Fleet: the R/V Seawolf ( News Item) ( PDF)
- Research Vessel Onrust information
The following archives are available through the SBU University Library
Papers, correspondence, and materials related to Charles F. Wurster's work with Environmental Defense Fund, his research, and teaching activities. Materials date from 1963 to 2005. The papers focus on two areas: legal action against DDT, Aldrin Dieldrin, and other insecticides and the activities of Environmental Defense. Wurster’s writings and correspondence as well as subject files complete the collection. The writing series contains research articles, editorials, statements and testimony.
SoMAS / MSRC / ITPA Website History
MSRC website (PDF): 1996
Iterations of MSRC – Archive.org’s collection of the Marine Science Research Center’s website
ITPA website - Archive.org's Institute for Terrestrial and Planetary Atmospheres's website
Photo Albums from the Archives
MSRC – This Is Your Life Google Presentation showcasing the history of MSRC as it transitions into SoMAS, created by Malcolm Bowman
Photos from the SoMAS Archives Volume 1 on Facebook
Photos from the SoMAS Archives Volume 2 on Facebook
Aerial Shots of Long Island – Images by George Rowland of MSRC on Facebook
Aerial Shots of Breach at Moriches Inlet in 1980 on Facebook