Welcome to the website of the Sociology Department at Stony Brook University. We have 16 full-time faculty, 53 graduate students and about 560 undergraduate majors.
News and Events
- Stony Brook Alumni Michelle Olakkengil has been selected as Stony Brook's first ever recipient of the prestigious Donald M. Payne International Development Fellowship. Michelle, who graduated with honors in 2017, received her BS in Psychology and Sociology with a minor in Biology.
- Michael Kimmel has been named one of the 2018 " Champions of Change" by the Metropolitan NY Chapter of UN Women, the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Crystal Fleming featured on the Stony Brook University Main Page
- Julian Go (Boston University), Sociology Departmental Colloqium Speaker, February 28, 1-2:30 PM, SBS N403
- Brian Powell (Indiana University Bloomington and Russell Sage Foundation), Sociology Departmental Colloqium Speaker, November 29th, 1-2:15 PM, SBS N403
- Michael Kimmel has been selected as the recipient of the 2018 Jessie Bernard Award from the American Sociological Association.
- Crystal Fleming has been selected as one of the inaugural group of faculty to participate in the SBU Leadership Academy Fellows program.
- Jennifer Heerwig has been selected to be a Visiting Scholar at the Russell Sage Foundation for the 2018-2019 Academic Year.
- Carrie Shandra has been selected to be a Visiting Scholar at the Russell Sage Foundation for the 2018-2019 Academic Year.
- Jason Jones and John Shandra have received Stony Brook FAHSS (Faculty in the Arts, Humanities, and lettered Social Sciences) Research and Interdisciplinary Initiatives Awards
Department of Sociology
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, New York 11794-4356
Telephone: (631) 632-7700
Fax: (631) 632-8203