Who Must Disclose:
The following individuals are required to disclose external interests and commitments:
- Salaried faculty
- Researchers (salaried and non-salaried)
- Executive/senior leadership
- Other personnel who advise on, negotiate or approve, on behalf of the University, transactions, arrangements or agreements with external parties involving the use of University resources.
What to Disclose:
The following is a non-exhaustive list of the types of external interests and commitments of individuals and their immediate family members, whether located in the U.S. or outside of the U.S., that must be disclosed:
- External paid and unpaid positions/obligations at institutions other than Stony Brook, including: current relationships, relationships that occurred during the previous 12 months, and any anticipated future relationships, whether located in the U.S. or outside of the U.S.
- External resources/support provided by entities other than Stony Brook or Research Foundation for SUNY (e.g.: payments or remunerations, provision of or support for laboratory or other facilities, gifts, equity holdings or ownership, and sponsored travel).
- Relationship with an external organization (e.g.: research, consulting, sponsored travel, equity in external company, etc.).
- Intellectual property rights and interests.
How to Disclose - Required Annual Disclosure Certification:
All those who must disclose (as defined above) are required to complete the Annual Disclosure Certification through the myResearch portal.
Completed Annual Disclosure Certifications must be modified to account for new or anticipated external interests and/or commitments within 30 days of acquiring knowledge of such external interests and/or commitments.
This Annual Disclosure Certification is separate from the annual NYS Financial Disclosure Statement that is submitted to the NYS Joint Commission on Public Ethics (JCOPE) by filers. Some individuals may be required to submit under both disclosure processes.
When to Disclose:
The annual filing period is May 1 to May 31, and modifications must be made as necessary year-round.
Special Instructions for those not listed under "Who Must Disclose" above
RF employees not required to complete an Annual Disclosure Certification should report any potential or real conflict of interests or commitments to Susan Gasparo, Conflicts of Interest Administrator at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NYS employees not required to complete an Annual Disclosure Certification or a JCOPE filing who have questions as to whether or not they have a situation which would be deemed a conflict of interest should have a conversation first with their supervisor, and if further guidance is needed, Human Resources Services (HRS) may be contacted at HRS_Ethics@stonybrook.edu