Mission and Goals
Our vision is to maximize students' potential through opportunities for self-sufficiency and growth in the educational process, inspiring lifelong learning and respect for one's membership in a global community.
The mission of the advising team in Psychology is to collaborate with students in developing the resources, skills and knowledge to pursue their academic, career and personal goals.
Psychology Advising Goals
- Provide relevant, accurate and timely information.
- Collaborate with students in the development and pursuit of educational, career and life goals.
- Enable students to be self-directed and self-sufficient.
- Work in partnerships to promote student success.
- Constantly improve our services.
Advisor/ Student Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Advisors
- Provide and effectively communicate accurate information
- Treat students with respect
- Assist students with decision-making and allow students to make final decisions
- Assist students with developing and pursuing goals
- Be accessible for meetings through office hours, telephone and email
*Advisors DO NOT create semester class schedules for students
Responsibilities of Students
- Actively participate in the Advising and educational process
- Accept responsibility for actions and decisions
- Schedule, attend and be prepared for Advising meetings
- Become knowledgeable about college resources, requirements, programs, policies and procedures
- Actively seek out information, opportunities, services and resources to facilitate success
Advisors are always here to help you, but it is your responsibility to understand all your degree requirements!
- Read the Undergraduate Bulletin , connect with the general advisors in Academic and Transfer Advising Services, and complete and keep a current degree checklist and run a Degree Works audit in Degree Works
- Make sure you understand any prerequisites, co-requisites, course sequences, minimum
grade requirements, application procedures (Pre-Health majors) and any other requirements
Your advisor will assist you in planning and choosing classes, but keeping track of your degree requirements and progress is up to you!