Recognizing Excellence in Faculty in the Lecturer Ranks
The local Stony Brook University Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award recognizes the University’s appreciation of a faculty member’s significant and ongoing contribution/s to the missions of the University. The Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award shall be considered an accolade granted to a full-time Faculty Lecturer at Stony Brook University, based on significant contributions to the university, as evidenced by the quality of the individual’s teaching, service, and related professional development.
After significant contribution/s at the ranks of Lecturer at Stony Brook University, the Department/Academic unit may nominate the faculty member for a Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer award. This process may be initiated by one of two means:
- The Department/Academic unit Chair may nominate a Lecturer for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award; or
- A group of three or more tenured faculty members may nominate a Lecturer for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award.
The candidate for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award shall prepare materials for review by the Chair or Director of the academic unit. These materials shall include:
- a complete and current curriculum vitae, which should not exceed 8 pages and must include the following:
- a specification of areas of specialization, and areas of competence, in the field of appointment;
- a list of all degrees, certificates, or diplomas received;
- a list of all awards or honors received;
- a list of all courses taught at Stony Brook (and elsewhere), indicating course number, title, topic, semester, and a description of the course, and number of students enrolled;
- a list of service on all departmental and university governance and administrative committees (and any offices held by the candidate), indicating dates and length of service;
- a list of special contributions to the DPI, which can include advising, student recruitment, program development, etc.
- After reviewing the nominee’s self-prepared nomination package, and if in support of the candidate’s nomination for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award, the Department/Academic unit Chair will forward the complete file to their respective Dean.
- After review of the file by the Dean, and if the Dean supports the candidate’s nomination for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award, s/he will forward a recommendation to the Provost office. All files will be reviewed by a Joint Senate-Provostial Selection Committee. The committee will consist of five tenured faculty members. Three (3) members from a wide range of disciplines will be selected from a slate of faculty proposed by the University Senate. The other two (2) members will be appointed by the Provost.
- After review of the candidate’s nomination package for the Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Award, the committee will make their recommendation to the Provost.
- Final decisions concerning Provost’s Outstanding Lecturer Awards will be determined by the Provost.
- Nominations will be received by April 30 each academic year ( May 31 for 2019).
- Review of nominations, selection and notification of awardees will conclude by June 1 ( July 1 for 2019).
- The awardees will be recognized at the annual Faculty achievements ceremony the following academic year.