OVPR REVISE AND RESUBMIT SEED GRANT PROGRAM
Request for Applications
The OVPR Revise and Resubmit Seed Grant Program is open for a second round to provide
additional funding to support the resubmission efforts of PIs/teams who have received
highly favorable summary statements on prior, unfunded external grant proposals. The
funds are to be utilized to explicitly address concerns and gaps in the original submissions
as indicated by the reviewers.
This cycle of the OVPR Revise and Resubmit Seed Grant program will accept proposals from PIs targeting funding opportunities from any external sponsor for their resubmissions.
AWARD AMOUNT: Average size award is $10,000. Well justified proposals may request up to $15,000.
START DATE: May 1, 2022
GRANT PERIOD: Up to 12 months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 15, 2022
We are following the Principal Investigator (PI) Eligibility Policy. Please review it carefully to determine whether you need a letter from your Department Chair.
Additionally, projects must demonstrate the following:
- Faculty may only submit ONE proposal to the OVPR Revise and Resubmit Seed Grant Program.
- PIs of active OVPR Seed Grant projects from previous cycles are eligible to submit a proposal to the OVPR Revise and Resubmit Seed Grant Program.
- PIs must have plans to resubmit a proposal that was declined for funding in the past 12 months and must make their external reviews available.
The total budget for this special initiative seed grant program is $80,000. We expect to make between six and eight awards, with an average award size of $10,000. Well justified proposals may request up to a maximum of $15,000. Award periods will vary, but will be no longer than 12 months. PIs are expected to apply for external grants within the award period.
Funds can be used for equipment and supplies, travel, and consultant costs. Personnel costs for research staff (students, technicians, etc.) can also be included in the budget, but use of funds for PI salary is discouraged. All personnel related expenses must include fringe. Indirect costs should not be included in the budget.
Budgets should include strong justification across all categories as projects will only be funded at the level deemed necessary to accomplish research goals in the proposed project period.
Refer to the FAQs for all OVPR Seed Grant Programs.
Awarded projects will be required to submit a final progress report at the end of the award period. Templates will be provided.
How to Apply:
Proposals must be uploaded to the application portal as a single PDF file by 11:59pm on March 15, 2022. Font size must be 11 points or larger with 1 inch margins.
A complete application will comprise of the following:
- Cover page that includes the name(s) and department(s) of the PI and Co-PI(s), the title of the research project, and a brief project summary (200 word limit)
- Project narrative (2 page limit) that includes the following sections:
- Brief overview of your previously submitted proposal describing the research goals and timelines
- Brief summary of the reviewer comments describing the gaps and/or weaknesses identified by the review panel
- Description of your plans to address the reviewer comments, your resubmission strategy, plan and timelines.
- Budget and budget justification (2 page limit)
- Budget must include a timeline for spending the funds that is no longer than 12 months. This timeline will determine the length of the award period for funded projects, so it is very important to map out a clear and realistic plan for spending. PIs of funded projects will be expected to be mindful of the award period and account balance throughout the life of the award. OVPR will be closely monitoring spending of the awarded projects and any PI teams that overspend will be expected to cover the difference with other funds. Likewise, PI teams that request more than the budget needed for the project in the proposed time frame should expect any remaining funds to be recaptured at the end of the award period. No extensions will be granted for this seed grant program.
- Biosketches for all key personnel (2 page limit per investigator)
- Copy of external reviewer feedback from previously submitted proposal (no page limit)
myResearch is not required for this submission.
All applications will be peer reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Innovation and excellence
- Strength of the research team
- Clarity and efficiency of the budget
- Ability to complete the project within the proposed timeline
- Ability to address concerns and gaps in the original submission as indicated by the reviewers
- Opportunities created by the project to attract external funding
For more information, please contact the Office of Proposal Development at OPD_OVPR@stonybrook.edu.