National Artificial Intelligence (AI) Research Institutes
The National Artificial Intelligence (AI) Research Institutes program – a joint effort of NSF, USDA-NIFA, DHS S&T, DOT FHWA, and several industry partners – will fund Institutes comprising scientists, engineers, and educators united by a common focus on advancing the research frontiers in AI. Proposals for full institutes must have a principal focus in one or more of the following themes:
- Theme 1: Human-AI Interaction and Collaboration
- Theme 2: AI Institute for Advances in Optimization
- Theme 3: AI and Advanced Cyberinfrastructure
- Theme 4: Advances in AI and Computer and Network Systems
- Theme 5: AI Institute in Dynamic Systems
- Theme 6: AI-Augmented Learning
- Theme 7: AI to Advance Biology
- Theme 8: AI-Driven Innovation in Agriculture and the Food System
Stony Brook University may submit no more than TWO proposals as lead institution.
Please see below for details. If you are interested in applying, kindly send an email to OPD_OVPR@stonybrook.edu by Friday, September 11 , 2020 .
WHAT DOES IT FUND: AI Research Institutes will have as their primary focus the advancement of multidisciplinary, multi-stakeholder research on larger-scale, longer-time-horizon challenges in AI research than are supported in typical research grants. They will accelerate the development of transformational technologies by grounding that research in critical application sectors that can serve as motivation for foundational research advances and provide opportunities for the effective fielding of AI-powered innovation.
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS: No restrictions or limits.
AWARD: This solicitation will support cooperative agreements of between $16,000,000 and $20,000,000 for between four and five years ($4,000,000 per year on average).
SPONSOR DEADLINE: December 4, 2020