Skip Navigation


What is SUNY Administrative Procedure Manual Item 7553?

As a result of legislative action to help SUNY fulfill its educational mission, changes have been made to the SUNY Administrative Procedure Manual. The Comptroller's Office has enacted new rules to simplify the procurement process.
In April of 2011 Governor Cuomo signed procurement legislation allowing SUNY to procure certain items without NYS Attorney General (AG) and NYS Office of the Comptroller pre-approval (OSC).

OSC and AG approval is not required for the following contracts regardless of amount:

  • Procurement of materials, equipment and supplies (including computer equipment);
  • Procurement of motor vehicles;
  • Construction contracts;
  • Construction-related service contracts, such as architectural or surveying services;
  • Printing contracts.
  • All other contracts, excluding any of the above, but including those specified below, of an amount exceeding $250,000.00 and other applicable oversight approval thresholds, must be pre-approved by OSC and AG.
    • Real Estate: Acquisition and disposition of real estate, such as real property purchases, deeds, leases, revocable permits, etc;
    • Services: Contracts for services, other than construction related services contracts. Service contracts or those which required the vendor to perform a task or tasks or those which the bulk of the expenditure on the contract is for the payment of vendor's personnel costs;
    • Technology: Contracts which involve the vendor's deployment of a technical means or method in providing a solution to SUNY, such as the acquisition of computer software systems and products etc;
    • Revenue contracts;
    • Article 11-B (contracts with not-for-profit organizations).

VERY IMPORTANT: Please note this legislation does not change the need for SUNY to comply with the procurement requirements and procedures in the New York State Finance Law, Education Law, Economic Development Law, other applicable State laws, OSC bulletins, Procurement Council Guidelines, OGS Guidelines and SUNY policies and procedures etc. Existing State requirements for advertising procurements, competitive bidding using IFB's, RFP's, justifying sole or single source procurements, documenting procurement methods and decisions in the Procurement Record and reviewing and verifying vendor responsibility, procurement lobbying et cetera, must be complied with.

OSC still has the authority to post-audit ALL SUNY's contracts. Every procurement and facilities office must be vigilant in maintaining strict adherence to the State and SUNY's procurement requirements so that our new procurement flexibility is not jeopardized.

Related Links

Documentation Requirements

According to SUNY Central Administration we are allowed to purchase up to $30K directly from a certified MWBE without the need to advertise in the NYS Contract Reporter, providing we can demonstrate fairness of price and reasonableness of selection.

What should I do with invoices?
All invoices should be sent directly to the Accounts Payable office; a Purchase Order number must be identified on the invoice. If material is shipped to the department, or picked up by the department, please notify Central Receiving, and forward an approval to pay to Accounts Payable.

Where do I go with a travel request?
All travel requests, for food, lodging and transportation should be processed on travel vouchers and submitted to the Travel section in the Procurement Office.

Important Telephone Numbers
Purchasing/Accounts Payable - Main Phone: (631) 632-6010
Procurement/WolfMart Help: (631) 632-4573
Expediting, State: (631) 632-4154

Food Purchases
Requisitions for the purchase of food require a memo on letterhead with signature explaining the purpose of the function, a roster of those attending, and a quotation or invoice from the vendor.

Prior to making arrangements for food purchases, contact the Purchasing Department to determine the appropriateness of the purchase using state funds.
Note: Functions of a personal nature (i.e., Christmas parties, office barbecues, retirement parties) will not be paid by the state.

Return of Goods
Contact Central Receiving prior to returning merchandise to a vendor. They will advise you of the proper steps to take.

  • Rules of Thumb

    Whenever you're transferring funds interdepartmentally it should be done on a Materials & Services Requisition through Accounting.
  • All Advertising gets paid on an Advertising Requisition through the Communications Dept.
  • All freight payments charging State Funds should be sent over without a requisition. You should write okay to pay, your account number and provide a signature on the invoices. These payments will be paid directly from the free balance in your account.
  • Freight bills on Research should be attached to a requisition and sent to grants if you're using Sponsored Program money, or to Procurement directly if you're using IDC money.
  • All Lodging and Travel expenses should be submitted on a Standard Voucher for non-employees and a Travel Voucher for university employees.
  • All honoraria should be submitted on an Independent Contractor form and be approved by Payroll prior to submittal to Procurement. Payroll will send the documents to Procurement once they have completed their approval process.
  • All orders should be placed by the assigned purchasing agent after receipt of an approved requisition.