Skip Navigation

State Accounts Payable

  • Payment Procedures

    Payment Procedures

    General Guidelines:

    1. SUNY’s fiscal year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 each year.
    2. The Procurement Office-Accounts Payable (AP) is the designated payment office for Stony Brook University and the Long Island State Veterans Home (LISVH).  All invoices must be submitted to the AP Office, referencing a valid purchase order (PO) number.
    3. All vendors must have a valid “remit to” address in the New York State (NYS) vendor file or be enrolled to receive ACH/electronic payments from the State, in order for the invoice to be processed for payment.
    4. Departments must respond within 3 business days to Accounts Payable requests for invoice payment approval.  A department’s delayed response may result in late payment interest charges assessed to their State account.
    5. Vendor invoices that include a freight charge of $100.00 or more require the submission of the 3rd party supporting freight bill before the invoice can be processed for payment. Orders shipped by UPS, FedEx, DHL, Postal Service, or the vendor’s own truck are exempt from this requirement.
    6. As an agency of the State of New York, Stony Brook University must pay the prevailing wage for NYS Department of Labor Article 8 or 9 construction/service work, which requires the vendor’s submission of certified payroll to be included with their invoice before payment can be processed.  The prevailing wage is the pay rate set by law for work on public work projects. This applies to all laborers, workers or mechanics employed under a public work contract. The Bureau of Public Work administers Articles 8 and 9 of the New York State Labor Laws:
                • Article 8 covers public construction
                • Article 9 covers building service contracts

    Invoice Submission for State Purchase Orders

    A. Vendors must email their invoices directly to:

    1. Their invoices must:
      • Include vendor’s name and “remit to” address
      • Be billed to Stony Brook University
      • Reference a valid PO number
      • Include a description, quantity, and price of goods or services delivered or rendered*
      • Include total amount due

    *Consistent with New York State Finance Law §§ 109(1) and  §§ 179-e(5) vendors should only invoice an agency once the goods or services have been delivered or rendered.

    B. Departments should advise vendors not to submit invoices directly to their offices. If a department receives an invoice from a vendor they must:

    1. Review the invoice:
    2. If accurate, then approve the invoice for payment by including the following on the invoice: 
      • Valid PO number (if not already referenced on the invoice)
      • The date item was received or the service was completed
      • Write “OK to Pay” on the invoice with the approver’s signature
    3. Scan and email it to AP at:

    **Please note that the Accounts Payable email box  is intended for invoice submissions and is not monitored for inquiries or comments. 

    Department and/or Vendor Inquiries or Comments

    1. A department or vendor can submit their invoice or payment inquiries via email to
    2. If a department has received the merchandise, or services have been rendered for their purchase order they can approve the order by adding a comment in WolfMart. All comments must be directed to an AP staff member.  Please refer to the Accounts Payable contact section on the Procurement website to determine the appropriate AP staff member.

    State Payment Requests Using the Non-Encumbered Payment Form 

    A. The WolfMart Non-Encumbered Payment Form can be used for the following payment requests

    1. Federal Express (letter and small parcel services)
    2. US Department of Homeland Security visa fees
    3. Journal/article publishing fees
    4. Organization memberships
    5. Organization subscriptions
    6. Accreditation Fees
    7. Conference/Registration fees
    8. Direct Car Service payments
    9. Direct (local) Hotel Payments - For hosting non-employees and authorized business meetings. (Conference events and banquet services require departments to submit a Service Request Form in WolfMart in order for a PO to be issued).

    B.The WolfMart Non-Encumbered Payment Form cannot be used for direct payment of vendor invoices for merchandise received or services rendered. Orders for commodities and services require a PO.

  • Issuance of Checks

    Issuance of Checks

    Checks are issued through the Quick Pay system. A check or ACH is usually issued from Albany approximately 5-7 days after the payment is entered into the system and approved by the Office of the State Comptroller.

  • Expediting


    • Accounts Payable requests that departments respond within 3 working days to payment authorization requests.
    • Departments should immediately inform Accounts Payable of any problems related to an order that might have an impact on the payment of the invoice.
    • Invoices that are sent directly to the end-user's department should be forwarded to Accounts Payable immediately to avoid interest penalties. Be sure that the correct Purchase Order number is referenced on the invoice.
  • Independent Contractors

    Independent Contractor Forms

    Independent Contractor forms are used when making Honoraria/Consultant payments. Payee information should include their Social Security Number and home address. The backup should include curriculum vitae, event sheet, and any other pertinent information. Honoraria are submitted to Payroll first and are then forwarded to Procurement for payment. All Independent Contractor payments over $2,500.00 require justification for selection and a statement that the vendor's price is fair and reasonable. All Independent Contractor payments over $20,000.00 also require a requisition to secure funds and will be turned into a purchase order after the service is performed and Human Resource Services has signed off on the expenditure. Please keep in mind when Hospital funds are used that a Lawson requisition should be submitted for the consultant's services.

    If you have any questions in regards to this procedure please contact Mary La Corte at (631) 632-9849. If you have any questions regarding the required documentation for these types of payments please contact the Payroll department at (631) 632-6156.