P510: Use of University Name or Logo
- Issued by:
- Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing/Chief Communications Officer
- Policy 27, January 1975
- September, 2008
- April, 2016
Stony Brook University reserves the right to authorize use of its names and logos on all products, announcements, advertisements, publications, reports, signage, and digital communications, including social media. All Stony Brook departments, centers and academic units are required to follow consistent university branding guidelines and may not create additional logos. Branding guidelines, including approved logos, are maintained by the Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing. Furthermore:
- The University name or logo may not be used for commercial, personal, or political gain.
- Faculty, staff and students are requested to seek advice and consent from their respective vice president, dean or director when use of the University name or logo is questionable. The Vice President for Communications and Marketing (or designee) will make final decisions on these matters when necessary.
- Under no circumstances should the University logo be incorporated into a symbol of another logo or mark.
- Improper use of the University name or logo should be reported to the Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing.
For information related to this policy, the following office may be contacted:
Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing
Room 138, Administration Building
Stony Brook, NY 11794-0602
(631) 63 2-6335
Relevant Standards, Codes, Rules, Regulations, Statutes, and Policies
- Stony Brook University Licensed Merchandise Process Flow (contact Communications and Marketing for further information)