P505: Tuition Benefits for Employees
- Issued by:
- Office of Administration
- Policy 35, June, 1977
- May, 2008
Tuition waivers provide tuition remission for up to three credits each Spring and Fall semester for full-time employees of the University and of the Research Foundation. The Office of Human Resources determines the deadline for submission of requests for waivers and notifies eligible employees.
Tuition waivers are provided only for courses offered by State- operated campuses of the State University of New York and are subject to the availability of funds. Forms are available at any Stony Brook Human Resources office.
- Level of Support:All Eligible Employees
- One course each Fall and Spring Semester to a maximum of 3 credits per semester may be waived.
- Tuition Reimbursement ProgramReimbursement for job-related or job-required courses at institutions other than SUNY may be provided through the departmental budget at the discretion of the department head or project director. This support is subject to the criteria applied to the Tuition Waiver Program. Reimbursement may not exceed $25.00 per credit hour with a maximum of $300 per fiscal year.
- Other Tuition AssistanceEmployees may apply for tuition assistance from programs financed under negotiated agreements. Information is available from the bargaining units and from Human Resources. Bargaining units include CSEA, PEF and UUP.
- Managerial/Confidential employees may apply for assistance through a program sponsored by the Governor's Office of Employee Relations. This program is available to M/C employees who have completed 6 full months of continuous service before the course begins and are State employees when the course ends. Employees are entitled to reimbursement of 75% up to $2000 per fiscal year with no limit on the number of courses. Courses must be job/career-related.
Opportunities for educational advancement may also be available to Research Foundation professional employees through funds designated by sponsoring agents for this purpose. Employees should request information from project directors or department heads.
To Human Resource Services
Stony Brook, NY 11794-0751
University Hospital Human Resources
3 Technology Drive, Suite 100
Technology Park Z=9300
(631) 44 4-4759
Long Island State Veterans Home
Office of Human Resources
(631) 44 4-4759
- State University of New York Procedures Manual: Item 059.1