Purpose:The campus cable television system (CATV) distributes television signals to
all residential facilities and select public places, academic facilities and administrative
offices. The audience includes students, faculty, staff and families in residential
facilities. The University encourages students, faculty and staff to strengthen the
diversity of programming by contributing material of local or educational interest.
This policy outlines the terms and conditions under which individuals and organizations
shall be permitted to use the CATV. The terms and conditions summarized here pertain
to locally originated channels only. This policy does not cover attachment to the
cable system for viewing purposes. The Office of Educational Technologies should be
contacted for information relating to access to CATV and to raise questions relating
to the terms and conditions outlined here. As described below, the Office of the Provost
and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for administration
of this policy.Program Categories Defined:Programs submitted for airing on the system
are categorized as follows:
P113: Policy on Use of Campus Cable Television System
- Public Access - These programs are generally entertainment or informational but not related to classroom activities or commercial endeavors.
- Education - These programs relate to classroom instruction, in-service training for employees or other intellectually stimulating programming.
- Government - These programs are associated with the conduct of University business or dissemination of information.
- Leased Access This category of access describes programs that include any advertising or are provided by an organization not affiliated with the University. Access fees collected will be used to offset cost of providing CATV services.
- Commercial Programming - Programs purchased or obtained by the CATV System Administrator for entertainment and education. Programs include cable networks and broadcast stations.
- A channel may be assigned to a department, division or other entity when it is in the best interest of the University. Those who are assigned channels are responsible for adhering to all applicable rules and regulations including, but not limited to those issued by the University, the Federal Communication Commission and the State of New York.
- Additional channels may be assigned as programming needs increase. When appropriate, a channel may be assigned to more than one function, group or department.
- The signal for all locally originated programming will be processed through the Office of Educational Technologies. All programming must adhere to specifications of the Cable System Administrator and the Office of Educational Technologies.
- Assigned channel numbers may be changed to accommodate changes in programming.
- The Cable Television System Administrator and the Office of Educational Technologies are not responsible for any consequences resulting from a failure of the distribution system.
- To encourage student participation a public access channel has been assigned for student use. This channel will be administered by POLITY or a student organization designated by POLITY acting on its behalf subject to the approval of the Office of Educational Technologies. All student organizations wishing to air appropriate programs should contact POLITY or its designee.
- To enhance the educational mission of the University an educational channel has been assigned for presentation of educational material. This channel shall be administered by the Office of Educational Technologies. Any instructors wishing to air appropriate programs should contact that office.
- To provide for the dissemination of University information a government channel has been assigned to provide information about University programs. Oversight for programming for this channel is provided through the Office of University Advancement subject to approval by the Office of Educational Technologies.
- Channel assignees are responsible for monitoring program content. Material must be appropriate for all ages since children reside in campus housing served by the system. Channel assignees must provide other campus entities appropriate access to their channel at no charge.
- During campus emergencies or crisis, channels may be preempted for dissemination of critical information. Channels may also be preempted for programs of university-wide interest.
- Complaints regarding program content or denial of access should first be addressed to the group or department responsible for the control of that channel (e.g. POLITY, University Affairs, etc.). Upon failure to achieve satisfaction at this level, appeals should be addressed to Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs which will refer the matter, as appropriate to an advisory committee the membership of which shall consist of representatives from the following offices: Provost and Executive Vice President for Student Affairs, Student Affairs, University Advancement, Division of Information Technologies, Vice President for Administration and the Office of Educational Technologies.
- No advertising or other business activities are permitted in programming originating locally for the campus CATV system. This includes any and all airing of commercials (including infomercials) for the benefit of off-campus companies or organizations.
- Programming made available at no cost to the University, or its agents, that contains a passing reference to a product or service is allowable provided no consideration is exchanged.
- Acknowledgment of underwriters may be made for programs produced by University organizations. This acknowledgment may be made at the beginning and/or end of the program. Sample acknowledgment: Additional support for (program name) provided by (underwriter). Or the name of the business or logo inserted by a character generator.
- All laws and campus policies for use of copyrighted materials shall be strictly enforced.
- Compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations governing the campus cable television system is required.