Welcome to Stony Brook University!
International Student Orientation at a glance
At International Student Orientation you will be welcomed to the University and hear about life on campus. Here are a list of things you will do during international student orientation.
- Learn about important academic information
- Take your picture for your student id card
- Meet individually with an orientation advisor to choose your courses for the spring.
- Take part in workshops to learn more about the US Education system, living and adjusting to Stony Brook
- Attend social activities with International Student Ambassadors
- Encourage your family members to register for Family & Guest program on Monday, August 19, 2019. For more information, please visit the Family & Guest page.
We will also have representatives from the math, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and biology departments on-site to do course evaluations. We also have family and guest program during international orientation. To prepare for your orientation, please read the detailed information below.
All new international students will participate in a two-part orientation. Both Orientation part I and Orientation part II are required for all students.
Orientation Part I is designed to familiarize you with aspects of US Education and Culture and takes place over a series of days. You will meet with an Academic Advisor who will help you put together your class schedule for the semester, complete an Intake Interview and learn about US Immigration regulations necessary to maintain your immigration status. Also scheduled are campus tours, workshops, and cultural exchange programs and shopping trips for students who require basic supplies such as blankets and linens. Orientation Part I takes place in the summer (fall admitted students) and in the winter (spring admitted students).
To receive an orientation date
In order to receive an orientation date, you should log on to the SOLAR system. Here you can accept your admission by:
- paying your tuition deposit online
- paying your housing deposit (if applicable)
- paying your orientation fee
- completing the New Student Preferences form
- Orientation Part I is required and will take place from August 19 to 22, 2019. In addition, all new international students must attend Orientation Part II on August 23, 24, and 25, 2019.
- If you are living on campus, you will be able to move into your assigned residence hall on Saturday, August 17 or Sunday, August 18, 2019. Please note, your room will NOT be available to move-in before August 17.
- All new first-year international students must attend orientation each day from August 19 to 25, 2019 . All new transfer international students must attend orientation each day from August 20 to August 25, 2019. To better prepare for register for classes and be ready for the start of classes, it is important that you plan to arrive in the U.S. before August 19 and plan for check-in to orientation on time.
- First-year International Orientation Check-In: 8:30 am on Monday, August 19, 2019.
- Transfer International Orientation Check-in: 9:30 am on Tuesday, August 20, 2019.
- Classes begin on Monday, August 26, 2019.
Orientation Part II, also known as Experience Stony Brook, focuses on getting acclimated to the University climate, culture, and community. Experience Stony Brook takes place during the weekend before the beginning of the semester. You can find more detailed information about Experience Stony Brook by click on the links below:
Students who do not attend Experience Stony Brook will automatically enrolled in the ROME (Required Orientation Makeup Experience) course.You can find more detailed information about ROME by click on the links below: Freshmen ROME and Transfer ROME.