Welcome to Stony Brook University!
International Student Orientation at a glance
At International Student Orientation you will be welcomed to the University and hear about life on campus. Here are a list of things you will do during international student orientation.
- Learn about important academic information
- Take your picture for your student id card
- Choose or finalize your course schedule for your first semester.
- Take part in workshops to learn more about the US Education system, living and adjusting to Stony Brook
- Attend social activities with International Student Ambassadors
We also have a family and guest program during international orientation. Encourage your family members to register for Family & Guest program on Tuesday, January 21, 2020. For more information, please visit the Family & Guest page.
We will also have representatives from the math, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and biology departments on-site to do course evaluations. To prepare for your orientation, please read the detailed information below.
All new international students will participate in a two-part orientation. Both Orientation part I and Orientation part II are required for all students.
Orientation Part I is designed to familiarize you with aspects of US Education and Culture and takes place over a series of days. You will solidify your class schedule for the semester, complete an Intake Interview and learn about US Immigration regulations necessary to maintain your immigration status. Also scheduled are campus tours, workshops, and cultural exchange programs and shopping trips for students who require basic supplies such as blankets and linens. Orientation Part I takes place in the summer (fall admitted students) and in the winter (spring admitted students).
To receive an orientation date
In order to receive an orientation date, you should log on to the SOLAR system. Here you can accept your admission by:
- paying your tuition deposit online
- paying your housing deposit (if applicable)
- paying your orientation fee
- completing the New Student Preferences form
- Orientation Part I is required and will take place on January 21, 22, 23, and 24, 2020. Students are expected to attend ALL days of orientation and should make travel plans that allow you to check in at 9 am on January 21. In addition, all new international students must attend Orientation Part II on January 25 and 26, 2020.
- If you are living on campus, you will be able to move into your assigned residence hall on Sunday, January 19 or Monday, January 20. Please note, your room will NOT be available to move-in before January 19.
- To better prepare for register for classes and be ready for the start of classes, it is important that you plan to arrive in the U.S. before January 21 and plan for check-in to orientation on time.
- Classes begin on Monday, January 27, 2020.
Orientation Part II, also known as Experience Stony Brook, focuses on getting acclimated to the University climate, culture, and community. Experience Stony Brook takes place during the weekend before the beginning of the semester. You can find more detailed information about Experience Stony Brook by click on the links below:
Students who do not attend Experience Stony Brook will automatically enrolled in the ROME (Required Orientation Makeup Experience) course.You can find more detailed information about ROME by click on the links below: Freshmen ROME and Transfer ROME.