Welcome Freshmen Students!
Welcome to Stony Brook University! All new freshmen students at Stony Brook University will participate in a multi-part orientation experience. Orientation is required for all new freshman students and consists of required online orientation modules (Seawolf Foundations), participation in the advising and registration process (with your Undergraduate College), virtual group activities (Seawolf Connections) with an Orientation Leader, and opening of school activities (Experience Stony Brook).
Seawolf Foundations Online Orientation (Part 1) focus on getting to know Stony Brook, including modules on academic readiness, financial responsibility, campus life, and introducing you to the Undergraduate Colleges. Seawolf Foundations Online Orientation (Part 1) will be available after December 1st, and is due on January 1st (spring admitted students).
Seawolf Connections Virtual Group Activities are designed to connect you with an Orientation Leader and your new peers throughout the winter. You'll have an opportunity to ask important questions and learn more about your transition into Stony Brook University.
Opening of School, also known as Experience Stony Brook, focuses on getting acclimated to the University climate, culture, and community. In preparation for the first day of classes, you will also complete Seawolf Foundations Online Orientation (Part 2). Expect more information in mid January! Experience Stony Brook takes place during the weekend before the beginning of the semester. Students who do not attend Experience Stony Brook will automatically be enrolled in the ROME (Required Orientation Makeup Experience) course.
Things to Do to Prepare for your Orientation Experience:
To begin your Orientation Experience, you should log on to the SOLAR system. Here you can accept your admission by:
- Paying your tuition deposit online,
- Paying your housing deposit (if applicable),
- Paying your orientation fee,
- Completing the New Student Preferences form.
After you have completed these steps, you will be assigned an Undergraduate College and assigned to a Seawolf Connection: Virtual Orientation Activity with an Orientation Leader.
Confirm your preferred email address, current mailing address and phone numbers in your SOLAR account are up to date. Under “Security and Personal Data" you will find the options for "Email Addresses", "Addresses", and "Phone Numbers". Be sure to check ALL THREE are up to date to ensure we send your Orientation information to the correct place.
Your Stony Brook NetID is used to access campus technology resources such as email, WiFi, on-campus computer labs, printing, and Blackboard. It is important that you set up your NetID as soon as possible to be able to access your virtual orientation events and activities.
To set up your NetID, log in to SOLAR, under “Security and Personal Data” then click “NetID maintenance”. You will see your NetID listed. To set your NetID password, create your security question, then set up your NetID password. It will take 15 minutes for this to take effect. Be sure to take note of your NetID and password for future use.
All students attending courses on Stony Brook campus must submit a completed Immunization Form / Meningitis Response, demonstrating compliance with New York State Health Laws. It is REQUIRED that this form be submitted to Student Health and submitted no later than January 1st to avoid any problems with pre-registration of classes. Copies of the immunization form or immunization history can be digitally uploaded to the Student Health Patient Portal https://stonybrook.medicatconnect.com. Alternately, If you are 18 years of age or older, this requirement can be met by logging on to your SOLAR account and submitting your response electronically under "Holds."
Students must be in compliance with MMR immunization requirements and meningitis response form completion before residence hall move-in or day 1 of classes (whichever is earlier). To ensure compliance in a timely manner and avoid issues with course de-registration, students should submit the required forms no later than January 1st.
Please note that a doctor's appointment is not required. In many cases, you can obtain a signed copy of your immunization history from your high school or previous college to submit to Stony Brook.
In addition to the Immunization/Meningitis Form, you will also need to complete a Health Form by the first day of classes.
Watch a video about how to upload your forms
- Via the Patient Portal: You MUST set up your NetID prior to use of the portal. The Patient Portal can be accessed at https://stonybrook.medicatconnect.com. After signing in, go to the Immunization tab. You will see instructions on how to enter the dates of your immunizations. When you are finished entering the dates you must go to “Upload” area and follow the instructions on how to upload your documents so that the dates can be verified.
- If you are unable to submit forms through the patient portal you can mail the forms to: Stony Brook University, Student Health Service, 1 Stadium Road, Stony Brook NY 11794 -3191.
- Math Placement: Most students will need to take the math placement exam and should do so before January 1st in order to be enrolled for math or math-dependent science, engineering or computer science courseses.
- Foreign Language Placement: Every Student in the College of Art and Sciences, College of Business, School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and School of Journalism must demonstrate a basic level of foreign language proficiency to graduate from Stony Brook. The Foriegn Language Placment Exam is used to place you into the appropriate level language course at Stony Brook, unless you meet an exemption. Please note, the Foriegn Language Placement Exam is NOT a priority for your first semester unless you intend to major or minor in on of the following: Linguistics, Asian & Asian American Studies, English, or any language program of study. For more information about how to take the exam, visit the Foreign Language Placement page.
- Chemistry Placement: All incoming students who want to register to take general chemistry (CHE 129, 131, or 152) during their first semester at Stony Brook must participate in the Online Chemistry Placement & Preparation (OCPP) process. Students interested in fields related to science, engineering, and pre-health typically will need to take general chemistry. The initial assessment and appropriate objectives of the OCPP must be completed no later than January 27th to avoid being deregistered for your courses.
- Writing Placement: Students who have not been directly placed into WRT 102 through SAT scores, ACT scores, AP exams, or transfer credit will need to complete the Online Writing Placement Diagnostic. To determine whether or not you need to complete the Online Writing Placement Diagnostic and review deadline information, visit the Writing Placement page .
- If you earned at least a 3 on any AP exam and you have not already sent your score report to Stony Brook, visit College Board at apscore.org and request that an official score report be sent to the university. Information about AP scores and equivalent Stony Brook coursework can be found here.
- If you have earned college credit at another institution before coming to Stony Brook, please contact each school's Registrar's Office and request that an official transcript be sent electronically through a secure server like National Student Clearinghouse, if that's an option the school offers and list firstname.lastname@example.org as a recipient, or via mail to the address below:
Academic & Transfer Advising Services
Suite 105, Stony Brook Union
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3217
If you have specific transfer credit questions, please call Academic & Transfer Advising Services at (631) 632-7082, option 2. More information about transferring credits to Stony Brook can also be found at Transferring Credits to Stony Brook. Specific information on transfer course equivalencies for select institutions is available by visiting this page and clicking on "Course Equivalency List".
If you have not already done so, please send an official copy to:
The Admissions Office
Stony Brook University
118 Administration Building
Stony Brook, New York 11794-1901
SOLAR "To Do" items and holds
no later than January 1st.
- Health Insurance Hold: All full-time students must have health insurance coverage at all times without exception. Stony Brook offers a health insurance plan for all full-time domestic students, but you may waive this insurance plan with a comparable plan . For more information concerning the University's Student Health Insurance plan, please visit: https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/studentaffairs/shs/insurance/index.php. To acknowledge this requirement and either fill out a a waiver form or accept the university's student health insurance plan, please log into SOLAR and complete the following instructions:
- Click on "details" under the "Holds" section in the upper left corner of your home screen.
- Click on the Hold Item labeled "Mandatory Health Insurance."
- Answer the subsequent questions as they pertain to your plan for health insurance.
- Click Submit and this hold will be removed.
- You must complete the above steps no later than January 1st.
Acknowledge the Financial Responsibility Statement: All new students
must acknowledge their financial responsibility for the education they will receive at
Stony Brook. For more information concerning your financial responsibility, please
http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/bursar/index.html. In particular, students should note that you are financially responsible for the
classes you ar registered for even if you do not attend classes. Enrollment will not automatically
be cancelled for nonattendance. If you decide not to attend, it is your responsibility
to withdraw through the appropriate office and you will be held financially responsible
for charges if you do not properly withdraw.
- To resolve this hold, please log into SOLAR and complete the following instructions:
- Click on "details" under the "Holds" section in the upper left corner of your home screen.
- Click on the Hold Item labeled "Financial Responsibility Statement."
- Read the information on financial responsibility.
- Click that you acknowledge the Financial Responsibility Statement and this hold will be removed.
- Register for SB Alert: All new students are required to register for SB Alert, the University's emergency notification system used to notify members of the campus community about major emergencies, immediate safety threats, or impending situations. To resolve his hold, log into SOLAR and complete the following steps:
- Click on "details" under the "Holds" section in the upper left corner of the home screen.
- Click on the Hold Item labeled "SB Alert"
- Provide your email and/or phone number to receive emergency voice, text, and email notifications.
Your academic advisor will develop your first semester course schedule for you based on information you provide on the Advising Planning Form and any additional information requested directly from your advisor. You will receive more information via email. Please note that EOP students and student athletes will recieve direct communication from their advisors.
You may find the following information about course registration helpful in understanding your academic requirement and coursework at Stony Brook:
You will recieve an email from Campus Card Services with information about the self-service photo submission system which allows students to take and submit their own ID card photos remotely.