Families of International Students
Winter 2020 Family & Guest Orientation Program Dates:
Families of Domestic Students:
Friday, January 17, 2020 (Check-in begins at 9:30am)
Families of International Students: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 (Check-in begins at 9:30am)
Things For Your Student To Do Before Orientation
To prepare for orientation, students should pay their orientation fee, complete necessary placement exams, and ensure that their Health Forms are complete and submitted. For a full list of items for students to complete before orientation, please refer to the International Student Orientation at a Glance page.
Sample International Family Program Schedule
The nature of the program provides break out sessions in an effort to allow participants to pick and choose sessions that fit their needs. Please keep in mind that the Family & Guest Orientation Program itself is not mandatory, the Student's Orientation may not end concurrently with Family & Guest Orientation Program, and participants are welcome to attend sessions at their leisure as well as visit any campus offices from the hours of 9-5PM on the selected Family & Guest Orientation Program day.
Please Note: This is a sample schedule. A detailed schedule and important materials will be provided during check-in*.
- Check-In, Student Activities Center Lobby
- Welcome and Overview of Family/Guest Program
- Student Health Insurance 101
- Navigating Visa and Immigration Services
- Supporting Your Student's Academic Success: Transfer OR Freshmen
- Stony Brook- From the Student's Perspective
- Seawolf Necessities: Meal plans, Dining on Campus, and Books
- Safety and Security on Campus
- Commuting to Stony Brook
- Living at Stony Brook
- Technology Essentials
- "U" Matter at SBU- Partners in Prevention and Outreach
- Supporting Your Student's Transition
- Closing and Wrap up of the Program