Overview of Family & Guest Programs
*Please refer to the "How do I register for Family/Guest Program?" Tab Below
Regarding Summer 2018 Family Program Registration *
Your student will receive an Orientation date upon accepting their admission to SBU.
Participation in Family/Guest Program is optional. The family and student programs are separate with no scheduled meetings between family members and students during Orientation. Some of these guidelines are in place to foster student development and independence. Others are due to space and time limitations, as well as confidentiality.
In addition, one of the main functions of the student program is to register for classes. Students will meet with professional academic advisors and register for classes. This is a time when students work with advisors to develop goals and plans. As such, family and guests cannot accompany students to advising and registration rooms.
Registration for families is free of charge.
Participation in Family/Guest Program is optional, while student orientation programs are mandatory. Please note that while you are welcome to register for any Family/Guest Program that fits your schedule, students must still attend on their assigned orientation date. Your registration for a Family/Guest program on a different date DOES NOT change your student's orientation date.
As a result of attending the sessions, Families will:
- Be able to identify campus resources available to students and how to engage with these resources
- Apply knowledge of campus resources by referring their students when appropriate
- Understand how parents and families can partner with the University for student success
For more information and access to sample Family & Guest Program schedules , please visit the tab that is most relevant to your family:
Those driving to campus should park in the Student Activities Center parking lot on the day of the orientation program. You can get directions here. Parking elsewhere on campus cannot be validated (i.e. parking garage, meters, etc).
Those who are traveling by Long Island Rail Road should exit at the Stony Brook station (Port Jefferson line). A Stony Brook University bus will take you to the Student Activities Center loop.
You may also learn more about train schedules below:
- Guests are welcome to assist residential students with move-in and attend the Family Farewell Event. Please continue to check our website for more information.
- Remind students of their responsibility of attending and engaging in Experience Stony Brook (Orientation Part II), which is mandatory for all students.
- Subscribe to the Family Connection newsletter. This provides important information!
Opportunities to attend a Family Program for the Winter season have passed. If your student has been accepted to Stony Brook starting Fall of 2018, please continue to check our website or call the Office of Student Orientation and Family Programs for more information regarding Summer Family Program dates and registration.