Be an ISA -- International Student Ambassador
International Student Ambassadors (ISAs) are current Stony Brook University students who volunteer to welcome and aid incoming international students during Undergraduate International Student Orientation. ISAs play a major role in assisting with the adjustment of new international students during their transition to the university community. ISAs are a vital component of International Student Orientation and an important resource for new students. Volunteering as an ISA is not only a great service opportunity but it is also a leadership and networking opportunity.
International Student Ambassadors assist with the following activities:
- Attend and take part in training sessions
- Greet students as they arrive at JFK Airport and SBU campus
- Welcome and help students move into residence halls
- Assist students as they complete orientation tasks
- Facilitate discussion during student success workshops on topics such as adjusting to the US culture and educational system and getting involved
- Guide students during shopping trips to Target, Stop&Shop and Best Buy
- Provide information about campus life and answer new students' questions
- Assist orientation supervisors as needed
- Gift Cards for gas for ISAs commuting to campus
- Ability to move into your residence hall early if you are living on campus
- Meals during volunteer hours
- International Student Orientation t-shirts
- Experience and development of public speaking skills, teamwork, and problem-solving
- Networking with University staff and fellow ISAs
ISAs must attend the mandatory ISA training sessions. ISAs are expected to assist during International arrival weekend (August 18, and August 19, 2018) and Undergraduate International Orientation Week (August 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24, 2018). Training is provided and mandatory for all International Student Ambassadors (May 4th and August 17th).
Application & Selection Process
The application and selection process for Summer 2018 International Student Ambassador will begin on Feb 12th. Please click here to find out more information.