New Student Programs is looking for enthusiastic, passionate and driven student leaders willing to be a source of support and information for new first year and transfer students during New Seawolf Welcome Week.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) play an integral role in the execution of all New Seawolf Welcome Week programs and initiatives for new students and family members entering Stony Brook University. The Orientation Leader team is comprised of self-motivated and driven members who work directly with the professional staff, fellow students and administrators across campus.
As an OL you will be challenged to think critically about the transition experience for new students and their families. You will be working among a team of dedicated student leaders to support the New Student Experience.
Support the transition of new students, families and their guests to Stony Brook University during New Seawolf Welcome Week
OLs assist with:
- Leading small group discussions with new students
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining involvment opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services and building locations by conducting campus tours
What We Look For
We are looking for a diverse group of enthusiastic, passionate and driven undergraduate students who bring a unique skill-set!
Below are the foundational qualities we expect candidates to also bring to this position:
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Stony Brook
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Strong communication skills
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
What You Can Gain
Our Orientation Leaders:
- This is a volunteer position
- Play a substantial role in the experience of new students starting at Stony Brook University
- Grow, learn and enhance interpersonal and leadership skills
- Meet and network with faculty, staff, and peers that often lead to other opportunities on campus
- Increase Stony Brook University knowledge
- Develop great friendships
- Residential OLs will move in early.
- Meals during in person orientation training and sessions
- New Student Programs and Orientation Leader Apparel and Swag
- Opportunity to participate in year-round social and professional activities through the Office of New Student Programs
The Orientation Leader volunteer position term is January 18 - 22, 2022.
Orientation Leader training begins January 18 in-person. Training is provided and mandatory for all Orientation Leaders. Orientation Leaders work during New Seawolf Winter Welcome, January 20 - 22.
Application & Selection Process
The Orientation Leader Application is available HERE!
If you are interested in the OL position for Winter 2022 and beyond, please complete our interest form here!
Email us at OrientationLeader@stonybrook.edu or call us at 631.632.6710.