Orientation Leaders (OLs)
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are role models as well as sources of support and information for new first-year and transfer students. They play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the Stony Brook community. They share accurate information about academic, personal, and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, professional staff, and student staff from other areas on campus.
OLs assist with:
- Leading discussion groups with incoming students and family members
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services and building locations
- Aiding in the development of class schedules
- Assisting in the class registration process
- Conducting campus tours
Qualifications & Qualities
We are looking for a diverse group of undergraduate students who possess the following qualities:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to think on your feet
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Stony Brook
Our Orientation Leaders receive:
- Hourly pay and on-campus summer housing
- OLs who meet the following criteria may request summer housing provided by the Orientation Office: 1) Live on campus during the spring 2020 and/or fall 2020 semester(s) AND 2) Have a permanent address 25 miles or more from campus. The first ten (10) hours worked each week will go towards housing costs. OLs will be paid for time worked after the first ten (10) hours. (please note that you must be registered for Summer 2020 OR Fall 2020 classes in order to reside on campus)
- Breakfast and lunch during orientation sessions
- Orientation Leader uniform shirts and jacket
- Valuable leadership development opportunities including working as part of a team, public speaking, flexibility, thinking on your feet, and small group facilitation
- Connections with faculty, staff, and peers that often lead to other opportunities on campus
- Develop great friendships
- Possible opportunity to participate in year-round social and professional activities through the orientation office
Orientation Leaders begin part-time training in April and full-time training at the end of May. Training is provided and mandatory for all Orientation Leaders. Orientation Leaders work from the end of May through the first day of classes, typically 3 days per week. Accommodations are made for Orientation Leaders wishing to take Monday/Wednesday summer classes.
Application & Selection Process
Check back for the application for the Summer 2020 Orientation Leader position.
If you are interested in the OL position for the next summer, please complete our interest form here!
Email us at OrientationLeader@stonybrook.edu or call us at 631.632.6710.