Orientation Leaders (OLs)
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are role models as well as sources of support and information for new first-year and transfer students. They play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the Stony Brook community. They share accurate information about academic, personal, and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, professional staff, and student staff from other areas on campus.
OLs assist with:
- Leading discussion groups with incoming students and family members
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services and building locations
- Aiding in the development of class schedules
- Assisting in the class registration process
- Conducting campus tours
Qualifications & Qualities
We are looking for a diverse group of undergraduate students who possess the following qualities:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to think on your feet
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Stony Brook
Our Orientation Leaders receive:
- Residential OLs will move in early.
- Breakfast and lunch during in person orientation sessions
- Orientation Leader uniform
- Valuable leadership development opportunities including working as part of a team, public speaking, flexibility, thinking on your feet, and small group facilitation
- Connections with faculty, staff, and peers that often lead to other opportunities on campus
- Develop great friendships
- Possible opportunity to participate in year-round social and professional activities through the orientation office
Orientation Leaders begin part-time training in April and full-time training in early/mid August. Training is provided and mandatory for all Orientation Leaders. Orientation Leaders work the 2 weeks before the first day of classes.
Application & Selection Process
The Orientation Leader Application is closed.
Applications will be available early Spring 2021.
You can review the Summer 2020 position description here. The application link at the end of the document is no longer accepting submissions.
A complete application includes attending an information session found below.
You must attend an information session to have a complete application.
The information session schedule will be released early Spring 2021 Semester.
If you are interested in the OL position for Summer 2021 and beyond, please complete our interest form here!
Email us at OrientationLeader@stonybrook.edu or call us at 631.632.6710.