Be an ISA -- International Student Ambassador
International Student Ambassadors (ISAs) are current undergraduate Stony Brook University students who volunteer to welcome and aid incoming international students during Undergraduate International Student Orientation. ISAs play a major role in assisting with the adjustment of new undergraduate international students during their transition to the university community. ISAs are a vital component of International Student Orientation and an important resource for new students. Volunteering as an ISA is not only a great service opportunity but it is also a leadership and networking opportunity.
International Student Ambassadors assist with the following activities:
- Attend and take part in training sessions
- Greet students as they arrive at JFK Airport and SBU campus
- Welcome and escort students to their residence halls
- Assist students as they complete orientation tasks
- Facilitate discussion during student success workshops on topics such as adjusting to the US culture and educational system, and getting involved
- Guide students during shopping trips to local stores
- Provide information about campus life and answer new students' questions
- Assist orientation supervisors as needed
- Ability to move into your residence hall early if you are living on campus
- Meals during volunteer hours
- International Student Orientation t-shirts
- Experience and development of public speaking skills, teamwork, and problem-solving
- Networking with University staff and fellow ISAs
ISAs must attend the mandatory ISA training sessions. Training is provided and mandatory for all International Student Ambassadors (one evening session last month of the semester and one full day session the day before International arrival weekend).
ISAs are expected to assist during International arrival weekend (2nd weekend before classes start) and Undergraduate International Orientation Week (on week before classes start) .
Application & Selection Process
- The Winter 2020 ISA Application is open from Friday, November 1st to Monday, November 11th at 12:00 pm EST (Eastern Standard Time-New York Time) . Late applications will NOT be accepted.
- Candidates who are selected for an individual interview will be sent the Winter 2020 ISA interview calendar to make an interview appointment. The candidate is responsible for scheduling their interview appointment and attending the appointment on time based on the Eastern Standard Time (New York Time). Please double check your google calendar setting to make sure that your calendar is on Eastern Standard Timezone.
- A no-show of the interview appointment will result in an automatic rejection of your application.
- If there is a reschedule of the appointment needed due to academic reasons or family emergency , the candidate must email Nakiya.Findley@stonybrook.edu at least 24 hours before the scheduled appointment time. A decision will be made based on individual cases.
- The Winter 2019 ISA decision email will be sent out by Tuesday, Nov 26th.
- The selected candidate will have until Monday, December 2nd at 12:00 pm EST to decide on their acceptance. More details will follow in the offer email.
- All candidates MUST be available to attend training on Friday, December 6th from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm and Saturday, January 18th from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm.
If you are interested in the ISA position for the winter, please complete the Winter 2020 application above!