Become an ISA -- International Student Ambassador
International Student Ambassadors (ISAs) are current undergraduate Stony Brook University students who volunteer to welcome and aid incoming international students during Undergraduate International Student Orientation. ISAs play a major role in assisting with the adjustment of new undergraduate international students during their transition to the university community. ISAs are a vital component of International Student Orientation and an important resource for new students. Volunteering as an ISA is not only a great service opportunity but it is also a leadership and networking opportunity.
International Student Ambassadors assist with the following activities:
- Attend and take part in training sessions.
- Assist new undergraduate international students as they complete orientation tasks.
- Facilitate discussion during student success workshops on topics such as adjusting to the US culture and educational system, and getting involved.
- Provide information about campus life and answer students' questions.
- Support programming for new undergraduate international students.
- Assist orientation supervisors as needed.
- Must have a minimum semester and cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Must be an undergraduate student in spring 2021 and fall 2021.
- Must be available to attend ISA Trainings & Meetings.
- Must commit to the position for the full International Orientation Week (late August -the week before classes start).
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially when communicating with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Strong desire to help new international students.
- Must commit to the position for the full International Orientation Week.
- Must attend required training sessions.
- Prompt response to all office communications (email, Google Calendar invitations, etc.).
- Must be on time for all training sessions and orientation events.
- Experience and development of public speaking skills, teamwork, and problem-solving.
- Networking with University staff and fellow ISAs.
- Possibility to move into your residence hall early if you are living on campus.
APPLY TO BE AN ISA
Apply here for the Summer 2021 ISA position! Interviews begin mid-march.
ISA INTEREST WINTER 2022 AND BEYOND