Skip Navigation


Internal Resources

Accommodation Request form


  • Disability: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), a person is considered to have a disability if (1) he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as, but not limited to, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, performing manual tasks, walking, caring for oneself, learning, major bodily function; (2) has a record of having such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment.
  • Reasonable Accommodations: A reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a person with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by staff without disabilities. For example, a reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to: acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, job restructuring, modified work schedules, removing readily achievable barriers

It is important to note that employees must perform the essential functions of their jobs and meet all job-related requirements, with or without reasonable accommodations. What is reasonable by way of accommodation typically is a fact-specific inquiry informed by job requirements.

Building Accessibility

Please contact the building manager for accessibility questions for your building. You may also use the online FixIT system for repair and maintenance request using this link:

If you have any immediate maintenance need or emergency in any West Campus Academic Building, please call the West Campus Operations Dispatch at X 2-6400  (This will always get you the fastest response).

Some examples of why to call the West Campus Facilities Operations Dispatch at X 2-6400 are:

  • No electricity
  • Water spill / Other spill
  • Toilet clogged / overflowing / not flushing
  • All lights are out
  • Gas odor / oil odor
  • Room is too hot
  • Room is too cold
  • Active ceiling leak
  • Active bathroom leak
  • Snow / ice issue
  • Pest control issue
  • Elevator problem
  • ADA door problem
  • Etc.

If you have a maintenance need or issue which is not a safety concern, does not require immediate attention, or is not an emergency in any West Campus Academic Building, please enter a work request in the FIXIT system. (Go to FIXIT on the SBU website or click on the link below.)

Some examples of why to enter a West Campus Facilities Operations FIXIT work request are:

  • Key request
  • Non-working electric outlet
  • Stained ceiling tile
  • A ceiling light is out / a bulb requires replacement
  • A faulty light ballast
  • Missing or damaged baseboard
  • Wall, ceiling, or floor damage 
  • Paint damage
  • Faulty door or lock
  • Bathroom floor or wall tile cracked
  • Dripping faucet
  • Etc.

The FIXIT link is:

Utilizing these services will ensure West Campus Operations can respond to all maintenance issues in the fastest and most efficient way possible.

(All Occupants of the east campus buildings, University Hospital Medical Center, the HSC, the Vets Home, and all Residence Halls, please continue to use your own appropriate work request system.)

Local Agencies

Community Agencies and Services.  If you need assistance, do not hesitate to call UNIVERSITY POLICE – (631) 632-3333 .

  • Long Island Advocacy Center (516) 248-2222 Nassau, (631) 234-0467 Suffolk
  • Long Island Head Injury Association (631) 543-2245
  • NYS Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) (516) 564-4311 TTY
  • RESPONSE Crisis Hotline (631) 751-7500
  • NYS Advocate for the Disabled (800) 522-4369 TTY/Spanish
  • League for the Hard of Hearing (917) 305-7700
  • New York Relay Service (800) 421-1220 (Voice), (800) 662-1220 TTY
  • New York Society of the Deaf (516) 877-2620, (516) 877-2622 (TTY)
  • Reader's Aid Program (Contact DSS) (631) 632-6748
  • Learning Ally (800) 221-4792 or
  • Social Services (Hauppauge) (631) 853-8714
  • Social Security (800) 772-1213
  • Suffolk Independent Living Organization (SILO) (631) 654-8007
  • Suffolk County Office of Handicapped Services (631) 853-8333, (631) 853-5658 (TTY)
  • Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Talking Books Plus (631) 286-1600
  • Suffolk County Transit Information Center (631) 852-5200/286-4546TTY, or
  • Veteran's Administration Medical Center (631) 261-4400
  • Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (ACCESS) (631) 952-6357
  • New York State Support Services
  • New York State Commission for the Blind (NYSCB): The Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) as part of the New York State Department of Social Services, provides direct services to individuals who are blind through district offices. The ultimate goal of NYSCB programs is to enable the person with a disability to become an independent, participating member of the community. Contact a district office for an application for services. Hauppauge Satellite office (631) 564-4311 (631) 564-4325 (TTY)
  • Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR): ACCES-VR is an office of the New York State Education Department that serves individuals who have a physical, mental, psychological or learning disability that interferes with the ability to work. If you are interested in applying for ACCESS-VR sponsorship, come to Disability Support Services for information and an application. Hauppauge-VR ACCESS office (631) 952-6357 (631)952-6370 (TTY).


Login to Edit