Study Abroad College Students (Summer 2016)
The Language Learning Research Center (LLRC) at Stony Brook University invites applications for scholarships to fund study abroad for Stony Brook, Suffolk, and Nassau college students. Our purpose is to promote the advanced study of foreign languages. Scholarships will normally be in the amount of $1,000. These scholarships are funded through a generous grant from the U.S. Department of Education for Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Languages ( UISFL).
- be traveling abroad to a country where English is not the primary language spoken;
- be applying to one of Stony Brook University’s study abroad programs for Summer 2016;
- be a full-time student of SBU, SCCC, or NCCC;
- take a foreign language proficiency test before and after participating in the study abroad program;
- be a US citizen or a legal permanent resident of the US.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- will be enrolling in language/culture/literature courses offered in the host-country language;
- will be enrolling in language courses at the Intermediate-level and beyond (200+);
- have a 3.0 GPA or above.
- Complete the SBU study abroad application as directed on the Study Abroad webpage:
- Complete the UISFL Scholarship Application Form:
Applications are due Friday, April 8, 2016.
Scholarships will typically be applied directly to your student account to defray the costs of tuition for the study abroad program.
Please direct questions about this scholarship to: Colleen Wallahora, Administrative
Assistant, Language Learning Research Center