A 33-Credit, Online Master's Program
As a grad student, you will be able to
- Share scientific discoveries in ways that resonate with diverse audiences
- Conduct empirical, social science research
- Design and test audience-centered messages for face-to-face and mediated platforms
- Support diversity and inclusion through communication
- Contribute to high quality, professional projects
Explore Program Requirements
Designed for researchers, engineers, mathematicians, and others with backgrounds in
science, the MS in Science Communication empowers experts to combine subject-matter
knowledge with evidence-based communication practices. Our program is offered in collaboration
with the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, the national leader in science communication research and practice.
Your degree, on your time
Earn your science communication degree as a full-time or part-time student, from wherever
Students will spend one weekend at the start of their graduate program at Stony Brook's
campus on Long Island, New York. In that one weekend, you will experience the unique
Alda Method of science communication, meet your peers and faculty in person, and set the stage
for an enriching and deeply connected graduate program.
Help build bridges between science and society
As a science communication professional, you will help to connect ground-breaking
research and life-altering discoveries to society - through policy, media, and culture
- using effective, accurate, and ethical communication.
You will work with interdisciplinary faculty to engage in this growing and vital field.
Apply Now Request Info Graduate Bulletin