What is a digital badge?
A digital badge is a visual representation of marketable skills that can be displayed on LinkedIn, resumes, blogs, websites, etc. These badges help students connect these accomplishments to the job market by allowing employers to recognize skills obtained by the student.
What are the benefits?
- Badges give your resume and social media a uniqueness
- You can prove to employers that you have verifiable skills/competencies
- Badges can be used as talking points during an interview
- You can give specific examples of your skills and experiences based on the badges that you have earned
- Employers will be to see how your skills fit into their organization or team
- Employers look for skill sets, and badges showcase skills in a verifiable way
- Badges connect informal and formal learning in and out of college
How do I earn a digital badge?
Stony Brook uses the badging platform called Credly.
After you have completed training, you will be ased to make a Credly account. Then you will recieve the badge that will allow you to be certified in a specific machine. We will be checking for these badges when you use the machine.
Displaying a digital badge:
Badges can be displayed on a student’s resume, LinkedIn, Facebook, e-Portfolio, or other social media networking platforms.
List of Badges:
3D Print Self-Service Badge
This badge can be earned in the Innovation Lab
This badge is given to Stony Brook innovators who have been certified for the 3D self-service machines. To receive this badge, students need to have attended a 3D self-service training workshop and demonstrated competency when using the 3D self-service machines. This competency includes setting up the printer and creating an original 3D print design.
This badge is given to Stony Brook innovators who have been certified for the laser cutter machines. To receive this badge, students need to have attended a laser cutting training workshop and demonstrated competency when using the laser cutting machines. This competency includes knowing how to use corelDraw and creating an original laser cutting design on wood/acrylic.
Check back later for more badges!