Data + Computing = Discovery
Dates for the 2017 session: June 12 – August 4th
- Week-long course in Python
- Fulltime research supervised by a faculty mentor
- Research Methods and Graduate School Preparation Workshops
- Poster Presentation at REU Symposium and Closing Ceremony
- No Minimum GPA Required
- Must have completed pre-calculus
- Open to all students, but US Citizens and Permanent Residents are encouraged to apply
- Students targeted are rising sophomores, junior, or senior college undergraduates
- Participants will receive a $1,500 summer stipend
- Lodging will be provided to all participants
- Limited supplemental funding is available for travel on a first-come, first-served basis
Applications are due by April 1 and must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications consist of:
- a completed and signed application
- 2-3 page personal statement as described in Part VI of the application
- Two letters of recommendation
- One official transcript from each undergraduate institution attended
- Acceptance and non-acceptance notifications will be sent by May 1
Ideally each participant should bring his/her own laptop (Mac, PC or Linux are acceptable). We do have laptops that we can loan to students for the duration of the REU. (Please make a note in your personal statement if you need to use an IACS laptop.) No other supplies are needed. All necessary software will be provided.
- Where we are on campus
- Where events are on campus
Poster Titles for August 4th, Research Symposium Event
"Investigating Type Ia Supernova Progenitors"
By Desmond Shangase
"Population Code of Neurons in Mouse Visual Cortex"
By Isabel Siergiej
"Computer Simulation of an Injection System"
By Andreas Lietzau
"Multiwavelets as an Efficient and Scaleable Basis for DFT Calculations"
By Emily Gentles and Colin Bunner
"Thermonuclear Explosions from Hybrid White Dwarf Progenitors"
By Carlyn Augustine
"Parametric Study of Gross Efficiency of Spark Ignition Engine using Two-Zone Simulation"
By Sofya Pugach
"Exploiting Acceleration of Density-functional Tight Binding Method by Density Matrix
By Jonathan Vazquez-Rivera
"Evidence of Population Size Differences Across Species from Bat Transcriptomes"
By Yakov Pichkar
Call 631-632-4629 or email email@example.com