Faculty Fellows at the Humanities Institute, 2018-2019
As part of the Provost’s initiative in the Arts, Humanities and Lettered Social Sciences,
The Humanities Institute at Stony Brook is pleased to announce the return of its Faculty Fellows Program, for which there are three (3), semester-long Fellowships. Applications for the 2018-2019
Fellowships will be available in Fall of 2017.
To read about the 2017-2018 Fellows, please click here.
To read about the 2016-2017 Fellows, please click here.
To read about the 2015-2016 Fellows, please click here.
Description of Fellowships
The Fellowships are targeted for one tenure-track assistant professor, one associate
professor, and one open to all levels, including Lecturers with lines in the Arts,
Humanities and Lettered Social Sciences who wish to complete or further an established research project for publication.
The Fellows will be released from their teaching and service commitments (at normal salary and benefits) in order to engage in their own research and writing. Each Fellow will also receive a $5,000.00 research budget for the semester, to cover books, travel and other aspects of research.
Each fellow must host at least one extra-mural seminar or reading group on the topic(s) of their research, open to graduate students and faculty, and schedule a public talk at the Humanities Institute. The talk and seminar/reading group dates will be assigned by HISB. They will also be required to fulfill a service to undergraduate requirement, taking on an undergraduate as an intern, mentee or paid research assistant.
Fellows are expected have an active presence at the Institute and attend HISB events while in residence.
Each Fellow is required to provide the HISB Director an end-of-fellowship report that
will be distributed to the Provost and the Dean of CAS an end-of-residence reports detailing execution of duties outlined above, as well
as any manuscript submissions and/or publications resulting from the Fellowship program.
The report must be submitted by the end of the Fall semester following their Fellowship
Requirements for Application:
1. Tenured, tenure-track and non-tenured faculty from the Stony Brook University community, including Southampton, may apply.
2. Faculty may not apply during the year in which their tenure will be decided.
3. Faculty must have returned from an academic leave to two full-time years of consecutive teaching in order to qualify for a fellowship. They may apply during their second year of teaching for the fellowship year following.
4. New faculty must teach for two full-time consecutive years in order to take up a fellowship. That fellowship may occur in their third year of employment or thereafter.
5. Faculty eligible for any college-funded leave who accept our fellowship offer will be expected to combine that support with institute support during the fellowship year. In this case, the obligation to satisfy a service-to-undergraduates requirement during the year in residence at the institute will be suspended.
6. Faculty who have already held a Faculty Fellowship become eligible to re-apply six (6) years after the end of their earlier award.
7. Prospective applicants must have their chairs sign off on the proposal and prospective research leave.
The selection committee, made up by members of the HISB advisory board, looks for
applicants and projects that will benefit from and contribute to HISB’s mission of
interdisciplinary knowledge production and transmission. The committee will seek to
achieve variety and balance in the disciplines represented by the fellows while also
looking for synergies and productive tensions that will contribute to lively intellectual
life. Proposals will be judged based on (A) promise and significance of the proposed
research project to their inter/disciplinary field of expertise; (B) the humanities
and arts, or social science content of the project; (C) the quality, significance,
and substantiated delivery of prior funded research in terms of publication, external
funding, public presentations, and conference papers. Preference will be given to applicants who wish to complete or further an
established research project for publication.
Faculty working on a variety of scholarly and creative projects are welcome to apply.
Additionally, the fellowship competition is also open to faculty who are developing innovative approaches involving digital text analysis, archive development, data visualization, or other digital tools, as well as faculty who are moving to new modes of scholarly communication.
The formal application consists of the follow:
1. Faculty Fellowship application cover sheet available here.
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. Project description (no more than 1,000 words).
4. Sample of your scholarly work (no more than 6000 words) or of your creative work
(such as audio/visual aids or portfolio submitted via a URL link to a website). Documents
must be submitted either as a Word or PDF file.
5. Confirmation of prospective semester release, signed by the chair of your department or unit.
6. Two (2) recommendations (one internal, one external to Stony Brook), each sent separately to the email address below.
The selection committee will consider only those applications that are complete and that adhere to the specified word and page limits.
DEADLINE:All required documents must be received via e-mail by 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday, December 4, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Future program deadline are being re-negotiated to reflect academic deadlines.
Questions? Please e-mail email@example.com.