Freshman Admissions criteria:
- Educational Profile: Successful applicants to these programs (the middle 50th percentile ranges) have historically had 95-99 high school GPAs, 1310-1450 SATcomposite scores, and 29-34 ACT composite scores.
- Academic and Extracurricular Success: It is important to have succeeded in challenging courses while showing energy and leadership in extracurricular areas of interest, such as the visual, performing, and literary arts, athletics, sciences, community service, or student government.
- Admission to the Honors College is based on a range of criteria. We are looking for bright, energetic students who have demonstrated an ability to succeed in our rigorous academic program and to take advantage of the research, creative, and cultural opportunities available at Stony Brook . Admission is highly competitive.
- *Meeting typical minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to consider applicants with credentials below these minimums based on extraordinary circumstances, including excelling in the face of adversity and overcoming life obstacles.
how to apply:
Step 1: Submit an Honors College Application by
- * Apply one of three ways
(1) Common Application Instructions:
- Apply for honors programs within Stony Brook's Member Questions section of The Common Application.
(2) SUNY Application Instructions:
- Those who submit the SUNY Application must also submit the (1) SUNY Supplemental Application and (2) Application to Honors Programs by January 15. Applicants to the Honors College, University Scholars & WISE: upload a brief statement in your SOLAR System account on why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program. Scholars for Medicine & Scholars for Dental Medicine applicants: upload an essay on "What aspects about medicine (or dental medicine) intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life" (up to 650 words). In SOLAR, select "Upload Honors App/Essay" to submit your essays.
(3) Coalition Application Instructions:
- Apply for honors programs with the Coalition Application.
Step 2: Submit all Supplemental Materials by
- High school transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, two teacher evaluations/recommendations, and essays.
- Essays: You may choose to write your essay on any of the topics in The Common Application, SUNY Application, or Coalition Application. You will also be asked to briefly explain why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program at Stony Brook.
- Please fax all paper documents to: (631) 632-9898. Credentials faxed directly from the high school do not need to be mailed in hard copy.
- If items cannot be faxed, please send them to:
Stony Brook University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
118 Administration Building
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1901
- *Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
- For more information on how to submit supplemental information please use the following link: How to Apply to a Stony Brook Honors Program.
- January 15th: Honors College Application & Supplemental Documents Deadline
- March 15th-31st: Students will be notified of their admissions decision by the end of March
- May 1st: Honors College Acceptance Offer Deadline