Freshman Admissions criteria:
- Educational Profile: Successful applicants to these programs (the middle 50th percentile ranges) have historically had 95-99 high school GPA's, 1310-1450 SAT composite scores, and 29-34 ACT composite scores.
- Academic and Extracurricular Success: It is important to have succeeded in challenging courses while showing energy and leadership in extracurricular areas of interest, such as the visual, performing, and literary arts, athletics, sciences, community service, or student government.
- Admission to the Honors College is based on a range of criteria. We are looking for bright, energetic students who have demonstrated an ability to succeed in our rigorous academic program and to take advantage of the research, creative, and cultural opportunities available at Stony Brook. Admission is highly competitive.
- *Meeting typical minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Likewise, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to consider applicants with credentials below these minimums based on extraordinary circumstances, including excelling in the face of adversity and overcoming life obstacles.
how to apply:
- Submit an Honors College Application by January 15th, 2022 along with all supplemental materials:
- High school transcripts, SAT/ACT scores*, two teacher evaluations/recommendations,
- Essays: You may choose to write your essay on any of the topics in The Common Application, SUNY Application, or Coalition Application. You will also be asked to briefly explain why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program at Stony Brook.
- Please fax all paper documents to: (631) 632-9898. Credentials faxed directly from the high school do not need to be mailed in hard copy.
- If items cannot be faxed, please send them to:
Stony Brook University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
118 Administration Building
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1901
- Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
- For more information on how to submit supplemental information please use the following link: How to Apply to a Stony Brook Honors Program.
*Stony Brook University is test-optional for the Fall 2022 admissions cycle, as is
the Honors College. However, the Scholars for Medicine and Scholars for Dental Medicine
programs DO require SAT scores for consideration.
- January 15th: Honors College Application & Supplemental Documents Deadline
- March 15th-31st: Students will be notified of their admissions decision by the end of March
- May 1st: Stony Brook University/Honors College Acceptance Offer Deadline
Note: All students accepted to the Honors College are automatically considered to have confirmed their seat upon depositing with the University.