Emergency Loan Program
The Graduate School is pleased to announce a new Emergency Loan Program, created to make interest-free loans available (up to $2,000) to graduate students. The new program, funded by the Provost and administered through the Graduate School, provides short-term loans to eligible graduate students to help them during an emergency financial hardship (medical, car, personal, family, etc). The loan is not intended to pay routine expenses such as tuition, rent, fees, and books.
- Enrolled full time in a graduate degree program (Graduate School)
- Good academic standing
- No other outstanding loans
- No outstanding bill with Student Accounts
- Student submits application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application is reviewed by committee for approval.
- Student is contacted with decision and, if approved, fills out promissory note.
- Stony Brook Foundation (SBF) processes the check payment. Please allow at least two (2) weeks processing time
- Student is mailed a check from the SBF office.
Payback of the loan is due within 90 days and non-payment would result in registration holds on the student's account, late payments fees and/or transcript holds.
Emergency Loan Program Application -- Word
Emergency Loan Program Application -- PDF
For questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com, noting Emergency Loan Program in the subject line.