John Dunn Excellence Award in the Life Sciences
Established by colleagues and friends of John Dunn, Senior Scientist in Brookhaven National Laboratory’s (BNL) Department of Biology from 1972 – 2012, this award honors Dr. Dunn’s scientific accomplishments, mentorship and productive collaborations between BNL and Stony Brook University by promoting excellence among Stony Brook graduate students engaged in life science research at BNL. One or more awards, in the amount of $500 each, will be presented annually.
No student shall receive the award more than once. Relevant departments and programs may submit nominations. To be eligible, students must have completed at least one year of their doctoral research at BNL.
Each nomination should include:
- A completed Google Nomination Form.
- A letter of nomination from the student's dissertation advisor indicating evidence of excellence in science and/or mentorship.
- At least one other endorsement of the nomination (in the form of a letter of support) from the Graduate Program Director (GPD), Department Chair, or other program faculty member.
- A short summary of the nominee's status as a graduate student. This should include the date of admission, year of study, dates of research at BNL, date of advancement to candidacy (if applicable), and expected date of completion of the doctoral degree.
- Dissertation abstract, or similar summary of the project. This should be geared toward a general audience.
- Student’s C.V.
The nomination deadline is Monday, February 22, 2021, at 5:00 pm.