Skip Navigation

Study Abroad

Stony Brook students who plan to participate in a Study Abroad program and receive financial aid, need to be aware of the following:

Study Abroad courses must be applicable towards your degree and/or major/minor requirements in order to receive Federal and State financial aid. Most NY State programs require that 12 credits must be applicable towards your Primary Major. Please consult the International Academic Programs Office (IAPO) regarding your intended courses. You should also consult your major department and/or academic advising, if the Study Abroad coursework will be fulfilling SBC or elective requirements. The IAPO will give accepted students permission to register   Please Note:  If you are going abroad through another SUNY institution other than Stony Brook, you still must register here under the appropriate course designation.     

Continue Reading...
 You must have a completed   FAFSA  on file and no outstanding “To Do” list items.  New York State residents planning on using a TAP payment, need to complete the   TAP  application.  Students attending a study abroad program will be identified and will have a “To Do” notification on SOLAR, requiring the submission of a Study Abroad Budget Cost Sheet.   If a student wishes to maximize their financial aid eligibility, they will need to submit the Study Abroad Program Cost Sheet to the appropriate financial aid office.  The document can be uploaded through Stony Brook’s SOLAR system.  Instructions on the upload process can be found in our   video library  Students only need to submit the Program Cost Sheet if they want a cost of attendance increase.

Your Study Abroad Cost Sheet will be reviewed and your cost of attendance will be increased to reflect the additional costs associated with your study abroad term.  Please allow 7-10 business days for processing before applying for additional loans.  Additional loans you may want to apply for are the   Parent PLUS  loan or a   Private Alternative  loan.

Please Note: The financial aid office cannot process a cost of attendance increase unless the student is enrolled in the designated study abroad course (contact IAPO for guidance).

Financial aid awards will be applied to your student account based upon the scheduled disbursement date; any excess aid will be refunded to you.   Keep in mind that these dates may occur after you leave to go abroad .  Be sure to enroll in Direct Deposit (in the Campus Financial Services section of SOLAR).  We recommend contacting your bank to inform them you will be overseas.  For security reasons, banks may place a temporary block on your account if unusual activity or international charges occur.

Scholarships may be available through specific study abroad programs and not through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.  Please consult with your study abroad advisor to determine if scholarships are available for your program.


  • Scholarship Websites


    • Rotary International- ( Offers several worldwide scholarships that vary in length and subject matter.
    • Benjamin Gilman Award- (  Students receiving federal financial aid (Pell Grants) can apply.
    • Fulbright Commission- (  U.S. citizens interested in graduate study or research abroad might contact the Fulbright Commission for scholarships or travel grants.
    • NSEP Undergraduate/Graduate grant- ( Students planning to study under-represented languages as well as the sciences or other disciplines deemed critical to U.S. security may be eligible for the NSEP graduate grants. These scholarships have a service requirement upon graduation. 


  • Additional Relevant Websites
  • Frequently Asked Questions