New Student Checklist
To be considered for financial aid you must first be admitted to a degree granting program at Stony Brook University.
Stay up-to-date on the status of your financial aid by logging into SOLAR and checking your "To Do List" items and e-mails from the Financial Aid office on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov.
- Include Stony Brook's school code: 002838
- New York State Residents must complete the New York State's Tuition Assistance Program
(TAP) application at www.hesc.ny.gov.
- Include Stony Brook's school code: 0875
- Log into SOLAR and check your "To Do List" items to see if additional documentation is required
to finalize your award package.
- If action is required, respond promptly to avoid packaging and disbursement delays.
- Forms can be downloaded at the link provided in the To Do List.
- Log into SOLAR and check your "To Do List" to see if any further information is required.
- Your financial aid package is available when you see "FA Award Response". Click the link which provides information on how to view, accept, and decline your awards.
- Review terms and conditions of awards by clicking the "Award Detail" link.
- If you do not see an award notification, check the "To Do List" detail for instructions.
- If you need assistance, contact your associated financial aid office.
- Log into SOLAR to check for updates.
- If you have accepted student loans, you may be required to complete online entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Check your "To Do List" to see if any action is required.
JULY/AUGUST (AFTER STUDENT HAS ATTENDED ORIENTATION AND IS FULLY REGISTERED FOR CLASSES)
- Log into SOLAR and review your financial aid awards and your "Account Summary/What Do I Owe?"
- Review your billing statement to make sure that it reflects all of the tuition and fee charges for your current semester enrollment status.
- If you are eligible for TAP, you should see both a fall and spring TAP award (estimates will not appear as anticipated aid). If you still have an estimated award, call 1-888-NYS-HESC and ask why Stony Brook University does not have your TAP information yet.
- If you are living on campus and have signed up for a meal plan, your bill should include room and meal plan charges.
- If you would like to pay the balance due in monthly installments, you can sign up for the Time Option Payment Plan (TOPP).
- Information about parent loan processing can be found under Applying For Parent Aid.